Fault code 12 after pump change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fault code 12 after pump change

I’ve just replace the pump on my ’90 2.4L, I aligned the timing marks and double checked the belt alignment. It started fine, however as soon as it gets warm the engine check light comes on – the ecu indicates a error 12. I’ve double checked all the connectors and pulled the battery off for a couple of hours, however exactly the same fault. The site seems to give some conflicting advice on error 12 – a couple of posts seem to indicate a timing / pump issue. Can I just swing the pump by a couple of mill and retry – don’t want to pull everything off again! Thanks - Dom

Originally posted by Domcr250 View Post
    don’t want to pull everything off again! Thanks - Dom
    You may have to. If the belt is not correctly fitted and all timing marks aligned code 12 will register. Check all connections on the pump first though and change the filter just in case.

Nev

Comment

Thanks Nev, I've rechecked all the connections, so I'll pull the cover off again. Dom

Comment

Ok, I pulled the cover again and I had slipped the pump by one tooth (Dooh!)- reset it and it starts and runs fine - however if I go over 30MPH with boost I get the check engine light, if I ease off the throttle the light goes out and it will boost again. No check engine light on power up, however I get error 12 if I short the pins! I'm going to reset the ECU overnight and see if that helps - any other suggestions? Dom

Comment

Still intermittent Check engine error 12

So, pump marks are all aligned ok, ECU has been reset a few times. Starts fine, but as soon as you get to 20MPH it goes into limp home mode? Ease off the throttle and it boosts again, then back to limp home mode. ECU reports a error 12?

So, I'm thinking that the pump maybe a few degrees out - either that or the pump I purchased off Ebay and rebuilt has a fault (cannot use my original one, because I took the disty cover off and it exploded in my hands – a good lesson for everybody!). I've read that some people get this after a full rebuild and that retarding the pump a few degrees can help sort the problem.

Maybe the pump marks are slightly different on my ‘new’ pump to my old pump, and it’s just enough for the ECU to be unable to compensate for?

Any thoughts – I love this car and want to get it back to normal asap?

Dom

Comment

When you set the timing up, did you turn the engine over 2 full camshaft (4 crankshaft) revolutions and re-check the timing?

If you didn't, it may still be out.
            Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Have you cleared the code? It'll still come up till you pull the ECD fuse for 10mins

Originally posted by Domcr250 View Post
              Ok, I pulled the cover again and I had slipped the pump by one tooth (Dooh!)- reset it and it starts and runs fine - however if I go over 30MPH with boost I get the check engine light, if I ease off the throttle the light goes out and it will boost again. No check engine light on power up, however I get error 12 if I short the pins! I'm going to reset the ECU overnight and see if that helps - any other suggestions? Dom
              4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Thanks for both suggestions - I did the full four turns and left the battery off with the lights switched on overnight - so I think I cleared all the faults. I’ve actually checked it three times now – so I think the third time lucky rule does not apply to me!

If I can get a 12mm spanner on the inside pump bolt (next to the block) it's not too bad to move the pump a few degrees - at least that will prove it one way or the other.

Only other thing that concerns me is I seem to remember reading that the LN130's came with two pump part numbers - the one I fitted had the same part number but had a 'D' at the end, the original one did not have the 'D' - maybe that’s it.

Good thing is I'm getting great at pulling the cam belt covers off and on!

Comment

is the pump cream crackered???

hi tony,

i was informed that ur the man i need to ask for advice, ive had an intermitant problem with performance from a while now even after a service of filters and oils, it seems to stuggle up hills from time to time.
                  todfay being the worse of all as know its not running! its started doing the slow up hill bit again this morning so i thought change the fuel filter maybe it could do with it (last change was only 2 months ago) on removing the filter i was shocked to c it was full of black and crappy looking oil looked a bit like engine oil???????? of all things so was glad i changed the filter and it started as it should, till a couple of hours later i had fuel starvation again, filter was pumping clear fuel, but it still didnt run right after a while she died down to only manging a lumpy tickover and throttle did nowt either, so i thought id check the gauze filter on the pump but it dont seem to have 1.

so this is where im at, i can prime the pump and get diesel to the pump and if i undo the return valve it will come out from there, but for some reason it dont seem to go to the injectors??? or if it does its not enuf pressure to start it, ive undone the injector pipes at the rear of the pump as well and thats the same little or no fuel coming out

hope its just something silly ive over looked or im just thinking its the pump
                  Last edited by pauly; 2 March 2010, 22:30.
                  1992 hilux surf ssr-x 2.4 auto 2nd gen LN130

http://cornishhostingcompany.co.uk/support/aff.php?aff=005

Comment

its ok sorted it pump was blocked with crap after swearing loads and lots of compressed air and redex its all up and running
                    1992 hilux surf ssr-x 2.4 auto 2nd gen LN130

http://cornishhostingcompany.co.uk/support/aff.php?aff=005

Comment

Fixed it

Even with the Error 12 I took the Surf for an MOT on Saturday, it passed with flying colours. I’ve known the MOT tester for a good couple of years and he is into his Diesel cars. I mentioned the error 12 and he said that it sounded like the pump was too advanced (too much piston slap?), so with all your help and his conformation I took a deep breath, skinned my knuckles and moved the timing.

I moved it back by a couple of millimeters yesterday, did a ECU reset and its running fine.

He also claimed I might have a poor injector, said it was missing occasionally - maybe the new pump has highlighted this - 1st off I'll whack a load of Millers diesel clean in the tank and see if that helps.

Thanks everybody for your suggestions.

Dom

Comment

Working...
                      X