Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch

Hi all

i am about to do my clutch again but am not sure if I need just the clutch set @ £90 from roughtrax or the conversion kit @£400 which includes the flywheel. I am going to pull it all apart but don't know what to look for on the dual mass flywheel to know if I will need a new one.

Any help appriciated

Thanks
    Mark
    Last edited by madcampbell; 17 February 2010, 11:53.

when you get to the dual mass flywheel, you'll see how it works, any play in the moving parts or loose/broken springs means its knackered.

good luck, I've not put many back after checking them!
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN View Post
      when you get to the dual mass flywheel, you'll see how it works, any play in the moving parts or loose/broken springs means its knackered.

good luck, I've not put many back after checking them!
      Thanks Tony

I think I will get the whole lot as taking it all apart again costs me (unskilled) more time than the extra expence!!

Is it easy to split the transfer box off the clutch?

Comment

the hardest bit is gettin the bolts out of the starter motor, the way i do it is to drop the back of the box and transfer down and use long long extension bars on a socket set,, hope this helps,, Recently had to change mine.. changed the dual mass bullcrap thing for a solid flywheel and got a super heavy duty clutch set cost around 1700 nz bucks to do ,, now she is great woohooo

Comment

Originally posted by whirly03 View Post
          the hardest bit is gettin the bolts out of the starter motor, the way i do it is to drop the back of the box and transfer down and use long long extension bars on a socket set,, hope this helps,, Recently had to change mine.. changed the dual mass bullcrap thing for a solid flywheel and got a super heavy duty clutch set cost around 1700 nz bucks to do ,, now she is great woohooo
          This worked for me thanks,
          3 bars and a uj at the very end so it flexed into the right angle

Comment

??What would you do

I have split the bell housing apart and taken the clutch out.... turns out the clutch is ffine but a bolt had come out of the flywheel (not the main bolts but the ones around the outside) and had jammed between the clutch and flywheel.

Question? with no damage to either faces (clutch or flywheel) would you replace the bolt with locktight (or some such thing) then do same to all other bolts then put all back together..... and hope it all works and was the cause of the clutch slipping !!

Thanks
            for any help

Cheers
            Mark

Comment

seeing as you've gone this far, i'd be tempted to fit a clutch kit, unless it does look really new, with plenty of meat on the disc still.

if the bolt was holding the pressure plate off from the flywheel or clutch disc, then i'd say this was deffo your problem.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN View Post
                seeing as you've gone this far, i'd be tempted to fit a clutch kit, unless it does look really new, with plenty of meat on the disc still.

if the bolt was holding the pressure plate off from the flywheel or clutch disc, then i'd say this was deffo your problem.

That's my dilema!! locktight £2.50 new bolt £2.50 or £400 Clutch kit

Tony if I post a pic later could you give me a clue as to very roughly how much life was left in the clutch

Thanks
                Mark

(disclaimer ....obviousley I will not later hold you to your opinion should this not last as long !!)

Comment

Right I have replaced said bolt and locktited?? the other bolts in just now fighting to get the lot back together 2" to go but cannot get it to go in!! knacked from straining under the truck and need three sets of hands! All I need to do is get 1 bolt in the bell housing and I have will have it sorted!

Tony I see why you take the transfer case off just to lighten the load you have to bench press up...

Comment

A good job ..Well done Mark

"Cos short cuts never work in the long Term"
                    Buncefield Burner

Comment

Originally posted by Diezel Weazel View Post
                      A good job ..Well done Mark

"Cos short cuts never work in the long Term"
                      Thanks Jess

Clutch works fine now!! so just need to put it in for an MOT as it's been off the road for 6 months waiting for me to fix it...

Comment

Working...
                      X