X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rattling ? Turbo Related?

Hello,

i got the 2.4td 92 surf,

going along road before come up to one of those bump roundabouts, let off throttle, went over it instead or round! throttle back on and what to me at first sounds like a tappets problem, when idling its louder than normal, rev engine gets louder.

what i have noticed is that turbo light doesnt come on until up in high revs when before hardly had to put any throttle on for it to work.

performance wise its fine, as usual, no overheating etc

any advice welcome
    Russell

Have you checked under bonnet for obvious loose parts, how high are your revs before turbo kicks in.Simple suggestion have you checked your exhaust is okay. Mine was loose and rattled like a bugger.
    Someone will be around soon to give you a more technical and probably much better ideas.
    Me........... NEVER

Comment

Originally posted by scourslane View Post
      going along road before come up to one of those bump roundabouts, let off throttle, went over it instead or round! throttle back on and what to me at first sounds like a tappets problem, when idling its louder than normal, rev engine gets louder.
      Why do you reckon it's called a 'Roundabout' as opposed to a 'Straightover'?
      Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
        Why do you reckon it's called a 'Roundabout' as opposed to a 'Straightover'?
        most of it went round it just offside clipped, only one of them silly nonsense roundabouts like a little lump

turbo kicks in at about 2800 revs
        Russell

Comment

Check everything on ansd around the turbo first and if you still think its the turbo then i have one thats just been taken off.£80 delivered for you
          https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce View Post
            Check everything on ansd around the turbo first and if you still think its the turbo then i have one thats just been taken off.£80 delivered for you
            dya reckon it could be that, it seemed to me when in drive putting foot down turbo would come straight on(light), even when sat in park, give it a rev, but needs to be high in rev range to get it to come on. Would the turbo make it sound like tappet sort of noise.
            Russell

Comment

and if it was something big surely it would of gradually come on, not just straight away as soon as i put throttle back on?
              Russell

Comment

mine went due to loss of oil pressure and high temps.It sounded like a tin of nails when it went.It does seem as if it could be the turbo or turbo related if its not kicking in till high reves tho

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce View Post
                  mine went due to loss of oil pressure and high temps.It sounded like a tin of nails when it went.It does seem as if it could be the turbo or turbo related if its not kicking in till high reves tho
                  not had a amateur look yet but i was also thinking manifold, as when just idling it ticks over like a tank, well not obv as loud
                  Russell

Comment

get everything checked that you can and if needed then the turbo is here

Comment

not really a rattle sort of a knocking, when idling, sort of a rough knocking, then when rev it goes louder, knocking with engine speed
                      Russell

Comment

update gone to 2 different garages now and they said they dont know, an di need to goto diesel expert,

last one said he thinks its from back of engine towards gearbox area, but not gearbox, maybe flywheel?
                        Russell

Comment

Originally posted by scourslane View Post
                          update gone to 2 different garages now and they said they dont know, an di need to goto diesel expert,

last one said he thinks its from back of engine towards gearbox area, but not gearbox, maybe flywheel?
                          Is it a manual?

Comment

No? Well, anyway, I suppose it could be something to do with the gubbins linking the exhaust to the turbo being loose. Would rattle with engine revs and reduce pressure to the turbo.

Comment

Working...
                            X