Only fit genuine cam belts.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Only fit genuine cam belts.

Started our truck up yesterday morning, engaged first, pulled away and stopped immediately. Had I stalled it? instinct told me before trying to re-start the engine to quickly pop the bonet and reomove the upper 2 cam belt cover bolts/nuts, oh dear loose belt, so either snapped cam belt or had the tensioner let go.
    2 hours later with the cover removed and there it was a 20,000 mile old, non genuine cam belt (which I fitted exactly 2 years ago to date) with a nice clean break accross it, the genuine tensioner still in the position I set it at 2 years previous.
    Out of curiosity I removed the rocker cover as I could not rotate the cam in any direction by hand, although the crank turned over revolution after revolution with no resistance what so ever. With the rocker cover removed all cam lobes "except piston number 2 exhaust valve" were roughly closed. However the shim from piston number 3 inlet valve was totally dislodged and sitting in no mans land and the bucket and shim arrangement on piston number 2 exhaust valve was on one serious tilted angle (had a bent valve caused it to tip this way?) and why the dislodged exhaust shim.
    Had the shim caused the cam to jam up and in the process snapped the belt, or had the belt snapped and caused this scenario? I could understand if the cam had snapped at this point but how the hell can a shim jump out of the bucket recess, has any one experienced this on their truck (1992 2.4 manual surf, ln130). My gut feeling tells me cheap after market belt, for the sake of a couple of quid don't risk it always fit genuine engine parts.
    A breif history of the vehicle. I personally imported the truck at Auction in Japan in 2004. It was imacculate in every way and was showing a genuine 56000 Kms (approx 35000 miles). The truck now has around 130000 KMs ( approx 81000 miles) and has been absolutely faultless in every way with none of the head problems that have been experienced by other members. 4 new tyres have recently been fitted along with new water pump,air con and alternator belts. I change the oil religiously every 6000 Kms. It has approx 5 months MOT remaining along with 11 months tax. I fitted a tow bar in 2006 and has been used once to tow my ducati motorcycle. The car has simply been used as a family car and has not been worked hard in any way. All past MOT certs present, the car sails through the test every time. The only real issue is rust to the chrome bumpers, the body and chassis are excellent.
    We had reluctantly been planning to sell our trusty surf for a seven seater landcruiser (due to ever increasing family members) I think our decision has now been made. If any one out there is looking for a 2.4, 5 speed, manual Surf please do not hesitate to contact me.

Sorry I made a mistake, it is the inlet valve bucket and shim on number 2 piston that is tilted and the exhaust valve shim on number 3 that has dislodged (pictures attached).
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by karl higgs View Post
      Sorry I made a mistake, it is the inlet valve bucket and shim on number 2 piston that is tilted and the exhaust valve shim on number 3 that has dislodged (pictures attached).
      Hi mate,

That looks expensive, but I must say the
      oil looks like it's been mixed with water, maybe
      there's been another problem in there as well,
      but we'll never know now, sorry for your loss.

Gman.
      If it aint broke, keep goin' till it is.

Comment

looks like the belt snapped, valves bent open shim jumps out ,how much you lookinf for?
        JAP4X4PART ¬ THE BIGGEST SURF BREAKER IN THE UK ¬

Comment

definately no water in the oil, what you are seeing is the reflection from the camera flash, the truck has not used a drop of water in the 5 years since importation.
          I had another quick look inside the rocker cover today and there are definately 2 bent valves the other 6 (when compressed) return as normal, as explained this all happened less than 5mph, it might be a simple case of 2 replacement valves. If the truck had 7 seats I would be fixing it tomorrow, its been so reliable until the fitment of a cam belt made of cheese, a picture of the offending item below.
          Like I said do not skimp on cam belts,tensioners etc for the sake of a few quid it simply is not worth it.
          Attached Files

Comment

Mitsubishi are OEM? That belt looks worn or stretched, maybe you over tensioned it or it was rubbing on something?
            Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

It doesn't say Mitsubishi..

It says Mitsueishi.. I think!

Either way.. Very valid point on not skimping on such an important part of the engine.. Especially as it is just a few quid different!

Sorry to see it's ballsed your truck up mate!

Comment

Originally posted by RodLeach View Post
                It doesn't say Mitsubishi..

It says Mitsueishi.. I think!
                Aye, you could be right.

Comment

Looks like the belt has been rubbing on the tensioner.

Nev

Comment

Just wondering, as you skimped on the belt, did you renew the tensioner?

Comment

It does look like something caused it other than the belt being non toyota.

I've just stripped the front of my engine down to do the crankshaft seal. The (Stevo supplied non Toyota) cambelt looked as brand new as the day I fitted it. - over a year and a half ago.

Rob.

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
                        Just wondering, as you skimped on the belt, did you renew the tensioner?
                        If not have you checked it. It may be seized. Are the three bolts for the tensioner there and tight. I've seen a couple with loose bolts that fell out, dropped to the bottom of the cover and break the belt.

Nev

Comment

I used the original tensioner as it all appeared fine with no play or roughness etc, I even put a creep mark, so I could take the new belt to where the original one was tensioned to. The tensioner is still bolted up nice and tight and is not seized in anyway, I still think it is a case of inferior quality belt (Mitsueishi) or English translation "Crap".

Comment

Originally posted by karl higgs View Post
                            I used the original tensioner as it all appeared fine with no play or roughness etc, I even put a creep mark, so I could take the new belt to where the original one was tensioned to. The tensioner is still bolted up nice and tight and is not seized in anyway, I still think it is a case of inferior quality belt (Mitsueishi) or English translation "Crap".
                            I disagree. That belt is worn on the outside and from your description you didn't tension the new belt correctly. Sorry, but I think you brought this on yourself by not fitting a new tensioner and/or because you didn't tesion the belt correctly.

Comment

I'm not sure what you call rub marks, surely if the belt had been rubbing there would evidence of dust everywhere? but not a trace, the belt was tensioned exactly as per original, when I loosened the tensioner off it went exactly to the creep mark and is still exactly on the creep mark, I've probably changed around 50 cam belts on all makes and models of cars and over 100 motorcycle cam chains with no issues, believe me I know how to change a belt correctly. I removed the tensioner this morning and it feels as good as new. Like I said buy cheap buy twice.

Comment

Working...
                              X