Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Owner Problems!

Hi Chaps,

Im all new the 4x4 scene, and especially The Hilux Surf, bought my 1992 LN130, Surf, 2.4td for 500 quid nearly a week ago, and i wasnt expecting it in pristine condition hence the price!

Problems i could do with advice with are;

1) When starting the engine first thing in a morning, its turning over fine, batteries are ok, theres smoke from the exhaust, but no firing. Tried the thing where you turn the ignition on wait for the plug light to go out, and have tried pressing and depressing thr accelerator pedal a couple of times. For example i tried it this morning, turned it over for approx 6 secs then off, done this 3/4 times, then give it 10 seconds, tried again and it fired poorly, i give it 50% acceleration and it fired up fine. Any ideas?

2) Other thing, previous owner said to me tappets were a little noisy. He pointed out that he fitted personally the head 6 weeks ago, and since then the tappets were noisy, he stated prior to new cylinder head, tappets were fine? Any ideas?

You advice is grateful in advance.

Russ
    Russell

Hi Scourslane,

The manual for my 1995 3L says the correct throttle position for a cold start is 50%. I never need to pump the throttle.

The general consensus here seems to be that you should wait another 15 seconds after the glow plug light goes out (normally there is some beep or quiet click at this point) before cranking the motor.

If you just bought the truck, it`s probably worth cleaning up the battery contacts and earth cables as it may help with glow plug performance. You could also consider getting them tested, although they don`t wear out in the same sense as spark plugs.

Good luck,
    Jon

Comment

Originally posted by Ptarmigan View Post
      Hi Scourslane,

The manual for my 1995 3L says the correct throttle position for a cold start is 50%. I never need to pump the throttle.

The general consensus here seems to be that you should wait another 15 seconds after the glow plug light goes out (normally there is some beep or quiet click at this point) before cranking the motor.

If you just bought the truck, it`s probably worth cleaning up the battery contacts and earth cables as it may help with glow plug performance. You could also consider getting them tested, although they don`t wear out in the same sense as spark plugs.

Good luck,
      Jon
      are glow plugs easy to check/change?

once turning the key to igntion on, the glow plug light comes on and goes off in about 2 seconds, are u saying wait a further 15 seconds before cranking?

cheers
      Russell

Comment

Check the 80 amp fuse in the fuse box
        ' You've arrived on a rather special night. It's one of the master's affairs.'

Comment

Originally posted by BioHazard View Post
          Check the 80 amp fuse in the fuse box
          is that the fuse box in engine bay?

what is that for?
          Russell

Comment

Originally posted by scourslane View Post
            is that the fuse box in engine bay?

what is that for?
            the fuse box by the drivers side battery .........the 80 amp one is for the glow plugs , if it has blown then the buzz bar insulator is in the wrong place and some one previous has change the glow plugs . if it has not blown then try replacing the glow plugs .......Note where the insulator is when you do it or you will blow the fuse . if you still have a problem then there is a glow plug relay ( i have one in the garrage if you get that far)
            ' You've arrived on a rather special night. It's one of the master's affairs.'

Comment

Originally posted by BioHazard View Post
              the fuse box by the drivers side battery .........the 80 amp one is for the glow plugs , if it has blown then the buzz bar insulator is in the wrong place and some one previous has change the glow plugs . if it has not blown then try replacing the glow plugs .......Note where the insulator is when you do it or you will blow the fuse . if you still have a problem then there is a glow plug relay ( i have one in the garrage if you get that far)
              cheers, but if its starting, surely the glow plugs are ok?

think im going to get a full service/check this coming winter, and spend some good money on it, getting all this type of stuff checked.

silly question. remember im a amateur does this model of car have cambelt or chain driven!
              Russell

Comment

belt

Bogus
                Сви можемо

Comment

have one you can have no problems and a 7 seter m8

Comment

Originally posted by John liverpool View Post
                    have one you can have no problems and a 7 seter m8
                    have one what? how 7 seats?
                    Russell

Comment

right, been under the hood,

1) 80amp glow plug fuse blown
                      2) Cant get the fuse out? how do u do that?
                      3) Tried a trick that joined fuse wire up, but that blew again once ignition was on
                      4) What is causing it to blow, something to do with the glow plugs themselves?
                      Russell

Comment

Working...
                      X