Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Pump

Hi Guys,

My Surf has been producing a lot of black smoke, and last night I noticed a real lack in power. The vehicle has just had a full service including: Fuel Filter, Air Filter, Oil Filter etc.....
    After speaking to a mechanic today, he informs me that I now need a new fuel pump. Heres the big thing, he says because its a fly chain (or something like that) im looking at a bill of around £1,000.00 fitted. Do any of you know if this is a fair price, and would it stop the smoke and increase performance?

Thanks

before you lay out that kind of money do a search on here for egr valve,block it off and stick some injector cleaner in the tank.and just remove the air cleaner and check it has been replaced,then drive it like you stole it for a few miles,see if that clears the smoke.
    www.overfab.uk

Comment

If it's producing a lot of black smoke then the fuel pump is working OK. Black smoke is usually cause by a dirty restricted air filter or intake.

Is the green turbo light illuminating when you accelerate?
      Is the red light next to it illuminated when driving?

Do you live near Abercarn?

Comment

The green turbo light comes on around 2000rpm, and there is no red light.
        Looking back at the mechanic report, it says there is a small split in the air intake pipe.

I live in Cardiff.
        Last edited by ponana; 28 May 2009, 08:22.

Comment

Have a read through this thread re: the lack of power...
          http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...rt+rubber+pipe

If it's still not right, fetch it up to me and I'll have a look, no charge.

Comment

Hi Mate,

Im going away from Wednesday 4th June, for most of the summer. If there is any chance of you taking a look, that would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by ponana View Post
              Hi Mate,

Im going away from Wednesday 4th June, for most of the summer. If there is any chance of you taking a look, that would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

No worries, either this saturday or sunday I'm free.
              E-mail me and I'll give you my address. I can't mail you 'cos you have the option disabled.

Comment

Email sent

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                  Have a read through this thread re: the lack of power...
                  http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...rt+rubber+pipe

If it's still not right, fetch it up to me and I'll have a look, no charge.
                  Gotta love this forum

Thats all

Comment

Besides, if you do need a new I.P, the pump itself, (provided they still have stock), can be obtained brand new from Toyota for around 300 notes. There is a compatible replacement for the original electronic I.P which is around that price, the last time I checked with them. Nev will be able to shed light on the exact part number later, or you can do a search on the Oz site for it.

The garage sure as hell wouldn't be able to charge you seven hundred just for fitting it, so it would be a damned sight less than that quote they have given you. I'd check with a different garage, personally. They sound somewhat debateable, from what you mention.
                    Last edited by MattF; 30 May 2009, 14:04.

Comment

22100-5B300.

Nev

Comment

Cheers Nev. That's one part number I can never remember.

Comment

Working...
                        X