Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Timing Belt!!!!

Hey guys and gals,

I was driving to work the other day and my T-BELT light came on, I pannicked and pulled over but couldn't see anything wrong, when I got back in I noticed my kilometer gauge had just that second passed the 200000 mark.

Is this just a reminder light programmed to come on at this stage to get it changed? I am quite good with repairs but should I do this myself? and if so where is best to purchase, Roughtrax and Milner's are who I usually use?

Originally posted by Peter Parker View Post
    Hey guys and gals,

I was driving to work the other day and my T-BELT light came on, I pannicked and pulled over but couldn't see anything wrong, when I got back in I noticed my kilometer gauge had just that second passed the 200000 mark.

Is this just a reminder light programmed to come on at this stage to get it changed? I am quite good with repairs but should I do this myself? and if so where is best to purchase, Roughtrax and Milner's are who I usually use?
    yes x3 most on here seem to prefer roughtrax
    Did I mention I have a BLUE one
    Tony

Comment

Originally posted by fatfires View Post
      yes x3 most on here seem to prefer roughtrax
      yeh roughtrax is genuine Toyota belt.... £59.99 for a full cambelt kit....
      One day at the time I guess..

Comment

I had the very same thing happen to me tonight! Gave me a bit of a scare!

How do you re-set the light? I've not long done the belt...

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
          How do you re-set the light? I've not long done the belt...
          Rubber bung on the console. Pull it out and push something blunt in to depress the switch it covers.

Comment

Originally posted by MattF View Post
            Rubber bung on the console. Pull it out and push something blunt in to depress the switch it covers.
            Is this with ignition on or off ?

Comment

Originally posted by Growler View Post
              Is this with ignition on or off ?
              Don't think it matters a toss which way one does it, to be honest, though I could be mistaken. Best bet is to do it with ignition off, start her up, and if the light is still on do it again whilst she is running. One of those has to sort it then.

Comment

Don't think it matters a toss which way one does it, to be honest, though I could be mistaken. Best bet is to do it with ignition off, start her up, and if the light is still on do it again whilst she is running. One of those has to sort it then.
                I would agree with you on that, if the light was on, but what if light not on and belt was swapped as preventative work as not sure when last done ?

Comment

I would agree with you on that, if the light was on, but what if light not on and belt was swapped as preventative work as not sure when last done ?
                  Reset it anyhow, if you replace the belt. It will then come on after another 100K. It's a marker for a point when you know the timing belt was done. Anything before one owned it is irrelevant, so work with what you know for fact.

Comment

Reset it anyhow, if you replace the belt. It will then come on after another 100K. It's a marker for a point when you know the timing belt was done. Anything before one owned it is irrelevant, so work with what you know for fact.
                    Thats the plan, but without the light being on how can i tell if it has reset, hence the question of ignition on or off ?

Sorry if this is getting annoying Matt

Comment

Thats the plan, but without the light being on how can i tell if it has reset, hence the question of ignition on or off ?

Sorry if this is getting annoying Matt
                      Do it both ways and record the current mileage. If it comes on in less than another 100K, you know it didn't reset.

Comment

Do it both ways and record the current mileage. If it comes on in less than another 100K, you know it didn't reset.
                        Cheers Matt, trouble is i've now found a 3rd way so i'd best try all of them

Comment

Working...
                        X