setting timing on diesel injection pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• setting timing on diesel injection pump

I have a 2.4 2LT engine with mechanical pump. I know the timing marks on the pulleys are right, but not sure on the fine adjustment on the pump. I have a feeling it's just out. (changed the pump and it didn't have markings on it)

So, does anyone know how to use a diesel pressure gauge and what the correct procedure is to check / adjust the timing? (a picture of the actual gauge - for comparison - would be great)

(I think I have sufficient mechanic skills to do it and figured that instead of paying a couple of hundred to the garage I could buy the gauge for as much instead and do it myself. I have a rough idea on how it's done but I find there's always that one thing... that buggers it all! so thought to ask for advice from the good folks on my favourite forum)
    Surf On!

personaly i would mount the pump halfway between the slots,and make sure the timing mark on the pully is lined up with the timing mark on the crankcase.the shaft has a key in it so you know your gonna be within a few degrees of rotation btdc.also if memory serves me correct there is a mark on the casing of the pump and this will line up with a mark on the crankcase also.make sure when you time the pump you advance the pump by 1 tooth,then when you rotate engine to check timing you will find all the marks line up correctly.
    www.overfab.uk

Comment

Thanks. The engine is working - been using it for quite a while.

It pulls and no smoke - but 1. the engine doesn't sound quite to my liking and 2. it takes a bit too much fuel (even for a surf).

So I wanted to see if i can finetune it to perfection
      Surf On!

Comment

Working...
      X