X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power Loss?

Hi guys,

I've had a power loss.

No funny noises, no smoke, no water in the oil, no oil in the water.

I've looked under the bonnet but nothing appears to be out of place.

It drives, revs free when not under load but not as quick to pick up, it just seems gutless, slow to accelerate, slow on hills etc.

Any common possible causes, anything I should look at or for.

Any help gratefully received.

Thanks.

Bad quality fuel ?

I've had petrol from my local Tesco's that made my car feel exactly like you describe. I filled up from a different garage and it went back to normal. Wifes had similar with her car.

Not noticed it with diesel though...

Rob.

Also worth checking all the big air hose connections from the turbo to the inlet manifold. Leaks there can lose you pressure = lower power.

Comment

Originally posted by wishbone View Post
      Bad quality fuel ?

I've had petrol from my local Tesco's that made my car feel exactly like you describe. I filled up from a different garage and it went back to normal. Wifes had similar with her car.

Not noticed it with diesel though...

Rob.

Also worth checking all the big air hose connections from the turbo to the inlet manifold. Leaks there can lose you pressure = lower power.
      Thanks I'll check all the turbo pipework. Oh for it to be a split pipe.

I don't think it's the fuel, other trucks filled from the same tank of gas, before and after, aren't experieincing any problems

Comment

Fuel Filter? Air Cleaner? Could be either or both.

Comment

Originally posted by yorta2 View Post
          Fuel Filter? Air Cleaner? Could be either or both.
          Good idea, got both waiting at work.

I've just noticed the turbo light isn't coming on, I don't know if this is a new thing or hasn't come on since the power loss. I didn't check if it comes on with the ignition, I'll do that today and check the pipes.

Is there anything else that could cause the turbo light not to come on?

Comment

Check that the little vacuum pipe hasn't fallen off, indicate in the diagram.......
            http://toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/turbovacuum.htm

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
              Check that the little vacuum pipe hasn't fallen off, indicate in the diagram.......
              Thanks, I'll check it out.

Comment

That's the fella, all sorted thanks.

Probably didn't see it the first time I looked as that area is so covered in oil I can't tell where it's come from.

Comment

Originally posted by Dodge View Post
                  That's the fella, all sorted thanks.

Probably didn't see it the first time I looked as that area is so covered in oil I can't tell where it's come from.

Oil vapour condenses in the inlet tubes via the valve cover breather pipe and eventually dribbles out above that little rubber pipe causing it to swell and fall off.
                  If it's dribbling there chances are that it'll be dribbling just before the turbo too.
                  Just remmove all the tubing and give it a wash out.

Comment

Oil vapour condenses in the inlet tubes via the valve cover breather pipe and eventually dribbles out above that little rubber pipe causing it to swell and fall off.
                    If it's dribbling there chances are that it'll be dribbling just before the turbo too.
                    Just remmove all the tubing and give it a wash out.
                    Thanks, I'll do that.

Comment

Working...
                    X