front wheel bearing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• front wheel bearing

hello all just a quick question about how the fcuk to get the flange & gasket off in the attached pic as need to get to replace the wheel bearing! the aussie site says hit the top of the flange with a hammer and should pop off but i think i need a sledge hammer for this little @#?! also had a look on rough trax and milners and no sign of the gasket in the brakes section? not really wanting to pu the old one back? any ideas
    Attached Files
    http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/showthread.php?t=55797

i wouldn't worry about the gasket to much, use some RTV on it and it'll be fine.

The easiest way to get the cone washers out is to #### the side of the hub with a small club hammer, this forces the cone washers out.

You can also put a old nut on the end of the stud to protect the thread, screw 2 bolts in the threaded hold to push the flange off the hub a little and the hit the nuts with a hammer.

You can damage the studs if you hit them to hard, but dosn't deform the hub sides like the other way.

Either way works.
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

as above but ensure you have nuts on the studs....those cone washers can realy fly and are a bugger to find (this comes from someone who didnt and spent 1/2 a day crawling round a gravel drive with a big magnet) I used silicone instead of a gasket when reassembling...worked for me and is still sound
      Last edited by fatfires; 16 April 2009, 17:43.
      Did I mention I have a BLUE one
      Tony

Comment

I use the two bolts through the treaded holes to exert some pressure to the cone washers then tapped the flange back into place and the washers fell out. Just make sure you undo the bolt beneath the centre cap 1st

The gaskets can be purchased from Roughtrax and are listed under the front axle components section Look Here

Comment

thanks chaps for the advice ended up giving it a good hit with the hammer and heated it up with blow torch and they eventually came out! kept the nuts on the tread so they didnt ping off! got some gasket paper and traced around it and used that and eventaully managed to get new brake disc on! also took a gamble and took the capilers apart took the pistons out gave them a clean and now my brakes work as new! Oh also spent all morning looking for a 52mm socket to unscrew those two nuts but a hammer and screw driver did just the trick oh and got it to Hayne's specified torque spec???!

Comment

Originally posted by dannyboy77 View Post
            Oh also spent all morning looking for a 52mm socket to unscrew those two nuts but a hammer and screw driver did just the trick oh and got it to Hayne's specified torque spec???!
            54mm.

Nev

Comment

good job i couldnt get one then! the hammer and screw driver fits any size! the aussie site maintenance bit

http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/index.htm

which has a pic by pic account of replacing them said it was a 52mm bit so now bit confused 52 or 54??????

Comment

Originally posted by dannyboy77 View Post
                so now bit confused 52 or 54??????
                54mm is the correct size. The Tech Site actually says 55mm. I believe some Hilux or maybe Landcruisers are 55mm.

Nev

Comment

55mm socket works fine, and is 1/2 of the price of a 54mm socket, as its a 'standard' size.
                  4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Working...
                  X