Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Gearbox Oil, No Drive

Hi everyone,

New to the site, just done a hello thread and now to post about the problem I have...

My father in law has had surfs for a few years now, and his most recent one has been off the road for 14 months as it was costing him too much to run to work and back as a builders truck. Some friends of mine just bought Discoveries, and started doing a bit of off-roading. I asked the FIL if I paid for it all, would he mind me using the surf, so I insured it, MOT'd it and taxed it, and took it out for a play the next day (last Sunday). The thing is awesome, and was going through stuff in 2wd that the Disco's struggled in 4wd.

Yesterday was my third time out, and had a cracking day right up until the point I noticed there was some oil dripping out. Went straight home after that, and about 3 miles from home started losing drive.

My father in law thinks that the front gearbox oil seal has perished where it didn't get used for 14 months, and a couple of hundred miles of motoring has blown a hole in it. By the time I got it home, I really struggled to get it to move from stationary.

He has never used it in 4wd, much less Low ratio 4wd which I did for the first time yesterday on a nice steep hill climb. Could this have done anything?

Finally, how big a job is it to replace the seals on the gearbox? Is it an engine out job? Does anyone know of a trusted garage anywhere near Andover (within towing distance) that has reasonable labour charges?

If you've read this far you're doing well

Thanks,

Jon.

If it's a autobox you should first check the oil ........if it's in a bad way it may be BAD OIL at worst a buggered torque converer or seal for that
    ' You've arrived on a rather special night. It's one of the master's affairs.'

Comment

Re autobox

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ad.php?t=53739

Turns out that the pipes that carry the fluid from the gearbox to the cooler had been rubbing against each other to the point where they were leaking.

I had also been out off road, 4WD up steep climbs the day before.

Maybe the extra pressure the system needs to do this is enough to finish them off??
      My other cars a QUAD
      (sv1000spilot on surf forums)
      http://www.devonandcornwall4x4response.co.uk/index

Comment

Originally posted by BioHazard View Post
        If it's a autobox you should first check the oil ........if it's in a bad way it may be BAD OIL at worst a buggered torque converer or seal for that
        You'll have to excuse me here, I really don't know that much about the Surf (or any engine to be honest)... Is the gearbox oil separate from the engine oil? It is an auto... If they share the same oil, there is no oil left to check...

Originally posted by sv1000spilot View Post
        Re autobox

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ad.php?t=53739

Turns out that the pipes that carry the fluid from the gearbox to the cooler had been rubbing against each other to the point where they were leaking.

I had also been out off road, 4WD up steep climbs the day before.

Maybe the extra pressure the system needs to do this is enough to finish them off??
        Cheers for that, I shall have a read and a look tomorrow if I get chance... I notice you have an SV1000... Nice V-Twin I have a VTR1000 SP2

Comment

Here's what she looked like yesterday just before I noticed the oil leak... That's how a 4x4 should look in my opinion

Comment

Top man
            Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

One quick question on this... These pipes from the gearbox to the cooler... Can you see them from underneath, or do I need to be looking from top - down?

Thanks,

Jon.

Comment

snoopyjon, you have me a bit worried here. I presume that you have checked both the engine oil level (via its dipstick) and the automatic transmission fluid (through its own dipstick). They are different. If your engine oil has run out you are lucky to get it home at all without siezing the engine. If it is the transmission that is depleted, then of course the car won't go anywhere. Ensure BOTH are full and look for leaks anywhere under both engine and torque converter. Let us know what you find.

Comment

Originally posted by snoopyjon View Post
                  One quick question on this... These pipes from the gearbox to the cooler... Can you see them from underneath, or do I need to be looking from top - down?

Thanks,

Jon.
                  From underneath.

They run from drivers side of autobox to bottom of the radiator.

Mine had worn through somewhere about mid point, hole couldn't be seen until pipes removed.

Will post pics of damage later.
                  My other cars a QUAD

Comment

Cheers for that, I shall have a read and a look tomorrow if I get chance... I notice you have an SV1000... Nice V-Twin I have a VTR1000 SP2
                    Not any more... Had to go due to back probs

Waiting for bank to sort out f##k up then getting quad.
                    My other cars a QUAD

Comment

You'll have to excuse me here, I really don't know that much about the Surf (or any engine to be honest)... Is the gearbox oil separate from the engine oil? It is an auto... If they share the same oil, there is no oil left to check...
                      very much so

autobox dipstick is by the fuel filter normaly a red handle, engine oil buy the rocker cover, yellow handle.

You'll need to take the gearbox out to do the front seal, very heavy and quite awkard, but not the end of the world.
                      4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Here's the pics..

Damage looks worse now (i think) as it took a bit of pulling / twisting to get the pipes out.

Explains why in about 15 miles I lost all my transmission fluid though..
                        My other cars a QUAD

Comment

That's brilliant guys, thanks very much for the replies. I should be able to get under her later on today, will report back what I can/can't see...!

Cheers,

Jon.

Comment

Ok, pipes were all ok... Engine oil is still exactly where it was the last time I checked it, but obviously transmission oil is right on the bottom of the dipstick...

Looks like it's definitely one of the gearbox seals

So, next question... Anyone know of a trusted garage near Andover that they would recommend to do the work?

Cheers,

Jon.

Comment

Well... Decided to bite the bullet and take it to a 4x4 garage near my home...

Guy got under and confirmed that a seal had gone, and that it would be about a tenner for the seal, and a days labour (provided nothing else was discovered).

Got a phone call from him, the bushes on the torque converter had gone, and the part to replace costs £140... So £150 worth of parts is now coming in at £580 to fix

Oh well, suppose it's worth it to get the beast back on the road!

Jon.

Comment

Working...
                              X