Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• alternator belt

Hi,
    I have a 2.4 TD surf 1992. I am having starting problems ie the engine doesn't even turn. Noticed that the alternator fan belt is slack (so is the ac one). There is only one alternator belt, even though there are 2 slots. Had it tightened. Checked the batteries whilst running produces 12.5v. The reading in the dash volt meter is just past middle line. Gave it a good run on motorway , stopped it ,but still wont start again. I had a new started put in last year so I dont think its the starter motor.
    Any suggestions please.
    Thanks

I would have thought with engine running you would be looking at around 14v going into the batteryies from the alternator. Think you may not be getting a charge from the alternator

You don't say what voltage the batteries show with the engine off ?

Comment

Growler,
      The voltage was 11.5v when off. (thats with both batteries connected in the car).

Comment

Re

If your belts are really slack it ain't gonna turn the alternator pulley and thus won't charge the batteries!

I'd say, tighten the belts as per suggested spec and see if that sorts it.

If not, my next step would be the batteries (which are probably 16 years old like mine were!).

Even totally screwed batteries are gonna give a residual reading to a voltmeter!
        Last edited by hellmett; 12 April 2009, 20:44.

Comment

Hellmet,
          I have already tightened the belts, and the batteries are about a year old. I Are there supposed to be 2 belts connected to the alternator? I only have one.

Comment

Re

Just 1 belt to the alternator mate!

You should maybe get an autospark to check it out if you have done all the obvious!
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by ickyxxx View Post
              Growler,
              The voltage was 11.5v when off. (thats with both batteries connected in the car).
              Disconnect the connecting cable between the batteries and check the voltages separately, it may be you have one bad one that is taking the other one down. I would have expected around +12v with motor off and +14v with motor running to show alternator charging

Comment

Originally posted by hellmett View Post

You should maybe get an autospark to check it out if you have done all the obvious!
                Hi mate,

My 2.4 has TWO belts to the alternator, reason?
                It also supplies the vacuum for the brake servo, if
                one belt fails, NO brakes. two belts means brakes.
                Belts & Braces. A pun intended. If two pullies are fitted
                then fit two belts, please don't drive behind me till fixed.
                BTW charge rate is 14.2v running on mine,
                If it aint broke, keep goin' till it is.

Comment

Originally posted by hellmett View Post

like Grassman said, 2 belts on the alt on deisel Surfs

Although you do get brakes, just not survo assisted ones, so needs two feet on the pedal.
                  4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Working...
                  X