Auto gearbox problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auto gearbox problem

Just changed the transmission oil and now the surf will only change into 1st 2nd and 3rd and can not get reverse at all.
    Correct oil used dextron II. local garage says a shell or something has gone in the box. They say its more cost effective to get a 2nd hand gear box and fit it.

Q1.Have they got the diagnosis right?

Q2.Is anyone selling a Auto box for a K plate 2.4 ssrx

Originally posted by tyton View Post
    Q1.Have they got the diagnosis right?
    No idea, doesn't 'sound' like they have. Have you filled the box properly? How much fluid did you put in? Was the box OK until you did the fluid change? Does the selector feel like it's selecting Reverse?

Originally posted by tyton View Post
    Q2.Is anyone selling a Auto box for a K plate 2.4 ssrx
    A few, they'll be along shortly...
    Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Sounds to me as if the 'garage' is bending you over a barrel.
      Gears don't just vanish after replacing the fluid, solenoid valves can stick or a plug can come loose maybe, was the fluid level checked with the engine running?
      Is the O/D light on the dash flashing indicating a transmission fault?

Comment

just wondering if the ecu is ok as i have sold a few for the 3.0's thats had similar probs.I Have a spare 2.4 ecu handy that you can try if you need to and if it cures it the it will be £100 delivered
        https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce View Post
          just wondering if the ecu is ok as i have sold a few for the 3.0's thats had similar probs.I Have a spare 2.4 ecu handy that you can try if you need to and if it cures it the it will be £100 delivered

Seperate transmission ECU on the 2.4 Rich. It's bolted to the panel next to the fuse box.

Comment

Have you checked the levels?

Need to have engine running while checking.

Also need to cycle through the gears first.
            My other cars a QUAD
            (sv1000spilot on surf forums)
            http://www.devonandcornwall4x4response.co.uk/index

Comment

Yes checked all the levels the surf drove fine the night I changed the oil. Next morning only just got reverse to work and wouldn't change in to top or reverse after that. car holds well in P and I did the cycle for the selector after filling as per the book. Also no O/D light flashing.
              Last edited by tyton; 3 April 2009, 19:58. Reason: Extra info

Comment

I had a simillar prob a while back. Not sure if it's possible to get an air lock but after trying to climb a very steep bank forwards & then backwards it seemed to clear the prob. Not sure why or how though..

(Bank = very steep claymine spoil tip)
                My other cars a QUAD
                (sv1000spilot on surf forums)
                http://www.devonandcornwall4x4response.co.uk/index

Comment

Ok, next question.
                  Can you change gears manually? i.e. start off in L then shift to 2 then D.

Comment

Yes I can start off in L and 2 and D and car holds on a steep hill in P, overdrive works fine but no reverse and no top gear!

Comment

on the passenger side of the gearbox, half way back, is a black 3 wire plug, pull this off, then go for a drive, the gearbox should be fully manual only now.

test to see if you get all the gears. (you won't get 3rd, thats electric only) but you should be able to shift R-1-2-O/D, and back again.

this will prove the gearbox is mechanically sound and its an electrical problem.
                      4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Thanks Tony I'll have a look this afternoon.

Comment

Still can't get reverse Tony

Comment

Working...
                          X