Turbo Seals? Blue smoke?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turbo Seals? Blue smoke?

Hi all.......... Ok... today while sitting at traffic lights on tickover I noticed clouds of blue smoke coming from the exhaust on tickover, on acceleration nothing... Next set of lights sitting on tickover nothing...... then suddenly blue smoke.
    At the next set of lights I engaged neutral and held the revs to a little over 1000rpm no blue smoke at all.

I have tried this several times, if I hold the revs to a little over 1000rpm never any blue smoke. If I let it tickover ...... clean 2-3 mins then blue smoke ... nothing ... blue smoke ?

Oil pressure good no oil in water no water in oil .... pulls like a train (no black blue or white smoke) no rattles or bangs ...slight turbo whistle thats all, no loss of water.

Any ideas anyone please ? Turbo seals possibly ?

Are you losing much oil?

Comment

no mate.... small amount from crank seal, new one waiting to be fitted. But when it smokes it really smokes

Comment

def turbo oil seals, to do with strong vacuum at tickover causes oil to be sucked past the seals, had it a lot on nissan sylvias back in the day
        JAP4X4PART ¬ THE BIGGEST SURF BREAKER IN THE UK ¬

Comment

Ok mate cheers .... I have got another turbo sitting here I will swap them over and see what happens

Comment

Remove intake pipe from turbo to throttle housing elbow. Grab a white cloth. Start engine a rev with cloth over turbo outlet. If you get lots of oil splatter on the cloth the front turbo seals are shot. If not then it may be valve seals. Valve seals will allow oil to bypass when idleing because of the vacuum effect and clear when under accelleration.

Nev

Comment

turbo seals can leak on exhaust side, heat burns the oil, blue smoke at tick over without the oil ever going in to the engine comb chamber.
              JAP4X4PART ¬ THE BIGGEST SURF BREAKER IN THE UK ¬

Comment

Originally posted by lord lucan View Post
                turbo seals can leak on exhaust side, heat burns the oil, blue smoke at tick over without the oil ever going in to the engine comb chamber.
                If that was the case then blue smoke would probably occur all the time and not just at idle. My money is on the valve stem seals.

Nev

Comment

Working...
                X