Now My Head Has Gone (I think)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now My Head Has Gone (I think)

The other day whilst towing, I suddenly noticed steam coming from the engine, a quick glance at the temp gauge showed it right up at full scale.

I have had no problem with the surf since buying it in June last year and this happened without any warning at all.

Obviously I fear the worst, and I have rung around a few places on quotes for heads. Some places have recon heads, some have new, are the recons to be avoided? Do they have the same design fault?

Any recommendations where to get a reliable head from.

Any help appreciated.

Originally posted by Caly
    The other day whilst towing, I suddenly noticed steam coming from the engine, a quick glance at the temp gauge showed it right up at full scale.

I have had no problem with the surf since buying it in June last year and this happened without any warning at all.

Obviously I fear the worst, and I have rung around a few places on quotes for heads. Some places have recon heads, some have new, are the recons to be avoided? Do they have the same design fault?

Any recommendations where to get a reliable head from.

Any help appreciated.
    Do not get a recon/stitched head. www.ukcylinderheads.co.uk do new heads bolts, gaskets all you need. They do genuine Toyota gaskets which I would say get.
    Are you sure its the head, get it pressure tested to be sure before you spend out. Its not 100% but normally the temp gauge don't move when the head goes, or it flies up then down again.
    Refill the system via the rad cap (with both heaters open, to hot) until it won't take no more. Start engine for a minute, couple of good revs, then refill as required. Repeat this until it won't take no more, take for a spin, see if both heaters get hot and check expansion bottle for overflowing, then let it cool down (overnight preferably).
    From stone cold remove rad cap and start it up, it may just seep out a bit of coolant but if it flows out then it could be the head. Only real way to be sure is to get a pressure test.
    Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
    My choice
    Back off

Comment

Working...
    X