Rust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rust

I have got a 1992 ssr-x Hilux surf 2.4 With which I am realy realy happy with But when I brought my baby I did not notice the rust at the bottom of each door Has any one else got this problem?
    Last edited by Peter ssr-x; 27 April 2004, 09:09.

Originally posted by Peter ssr-x
    I have got a 1992 ssr-x Hilux surf 2.4 With which I am realy realy happy with But when I brought my baby I did not notice the rust at the bottom of each door Has any one else got this problem?
    Yep, I've got rust on all my doors . Mine had had a hard life before I bought it & I knew the paint was liable to go.
    I've had to source a replacement drivers door off Hilux Bob ,but I think the others are repairable.
    Mine has never had the underseal treatment & when it started to show signs of corrosion I let it develop rather than seal over the top of it.
    This summer I hope to have it stripped right back & sort out all the body work.

Has yours been in the country long without being undersealed ?
    I'll certainly be treating inside all the doors etc when its painted.
    Its certainly not a common problem with imports ,everyone comments on the exceptional condition of the cars when they enter the country.
    Its obviously important to rustproof them asap
    Geoff http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/10/10_6_5.gif.... http://www.boomspeed.com/carolrobert/police.gif......

Comment

Rust

Thanks Geoff
      Don't think its been in this country long they registered it when I brought it the rust is not to bad and I think it can be repaired.the rest of it is in very good condition apart from the caseing around shock absorbers and the bars which hold the side steps on which I knew about when I brougt it.

Comment

Mine has a bit of rust on bottom inside edge of both passenger doors, i have applied a layer of grease to the bottom edge of all doors to keep it at bay for a while!!! take care not to block the door drain holes if you do this or you could make the problem worse!!
        If it aint broke...........give it some more abuse!!!!!!!!
        I gave it some abuse.................and it broke!!!!!!!

Comment

If your bumpers - especially the rear one and the big rear end caps - look good then you should make a priority too out of rust proofing the insides of these, theres a lot of surfs around with grey bumpers coz they obviously couldnt source the genuine chrome ones when the old ones were shot

Comment

There is a mith that the Japanese do not use SALT on there roads during the winter - WHICH IS NOT THE CASE
            This is the reason why used imports have a very low rate of rust / corrosion, however the Salt issue realy is only correct for cities & large town plus major highways.
            It does not include mountain areas where they do us Salt on the roads, couple this with no underseal, then you will get rust appearing.
            While the vast majority of used imports do not have even minor problems, a small number which were used in mountain areas do.

Sewerat Bob
            [FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][COLOR=Magenta][SIZE=2][B]SEWERAT BOB[/B][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

[SIZE=3][COLOR=SeaGreen][I][COLOR=Lime][B]I just sit here & looks out to sea or if i'm really rushed then i just sits here & continues to look out to sea[/B][/COLOR][/I][/COLOR][/SIZE]

Comment

Rust inside doors has nothing to do with salt on the roads; it is usually caused by damaged window seals allowing dirt to collect in the bottom of the doors.

Comment

"caseing around shock absorbers and the bars which hold the side steps "
                "If your bumpers - especially the rear one and the big rear end caps - look good then you should make a priority too out of rust proofing the insides of these, theres a lot of surfs around with grey bumpers coz they obviously couldnt source the genuine chrome ones when the old ones were shot"

External to Surf & expossed to SALT METHINKS ELVZ

Sewerat Bob
                [FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][COLOR=Magenta][SIZE=2][B]SEWERAT BOB[/B][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

[SIZE=3][COLOR=SeaGreen][I][COLOR=Lime][B]I just sit here & looks out to sea or if i'm really rushed then i just sits here & continues to look out to sea[/B][/COLOR][/I][/COLOR][/SIZE]

Comment

The subject of the thread was rust on the bottom of doors not your thoughts on highway maintainence in Japan!

Comment

And there was me thinking the sword had been put away Elvz, how wrong ??
                    Why is it you have to take a swing at members when they are answering queries ??

Sewerat Bob

Comment

You weren't answering a query. The question was has anyone else got rust in the bottom of their doors.

I've never "taken a swing" as you quaintly put it, at anyone except you in your various aliases. and you know damn well why don't you?

Comment

Oh no, not again

simon

Comment

I give up : Do your own thing Elvz

Sewerat

Comment

NO, No! this is great keep it going!
                            What did he say to you Elvz?
                            She is right, as usual! it is vital to take off the door panels, clean out the bottom and treat with waxoil, which I will do one day, really soon, honest!
                            SteveT

Comment

I found out by accident that rear axle oil is great for stopping rust, It spread all over the rust on my old Bedford CF250 sill when I spilt it in the back of the van and lasted for years. I tried it in the doors with similar success, it seems to just seep into the rusty bits. I have tried pouring small amounts onto the inside of partially rusted wheel arches with similar rust stopping results, worth a try its for nothing (almost), it wont cure anything it just stops the crabs!
                              ...Woodie http://woodie.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/D...%20Surfsml.JPG

Comment

Working...
                              X