No announcement yet.

head cracked 3.0l head swap questions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• head cracked 3.0l head swap questions?

so my monster hilux decided to crack the head on me. now im insearch of any and all info regarding the 3.0l head swap on my 2.4 as im in canada these trucks are only imported, so not much knowledge over here. but this site seems to have all the answers. my questions involve what head gasket do i buy?(2.4 gskt or 3.0 gskt) different head torque? any other components i will need to do the swap other than basic timing belt etc. Does the camshaft and valves swap right over to a 3.0 head?
    last month i just fitted the truck with new waterpump, timing belt, glow plugs etc. the basics. have had the truck for over 6 months with no problems untill now. its -15 celsius here and all it blew up in the cold(weird) as the summer was almost 40 degrees celsius here and no problems.(just a little history)
    the truck is pouring out antifreeze out the tailpipe when running and giving off that sweet smell of burning antifrezze and pushing the rest of the coolant out of the coolant reservoir.

so back to the topic at hand to fix my precious surf, what items will i need to do the 3.0 head swap, i know i need a new cylinder head(3l) and head gskt and head bolts. is there anything else?
    please if anybody can aid me in my problem of broken surf it would be greatly appreciated.
    also ill attach a pic of the monster.
    Attached Files
    1992 Hilux Surf Veggified

every thing will be the same 2.4 head gasket set,new head bolts and torques,just the 3l head from a 2.8. that should be all you need.
    www.overfab.uk

Comment

Hi n Welcome Buddy, Nice Truck...
      Just so I read this proper ya Truck is a 2.4 ( it's early for me ) there's lots on 2.4 Head problems on here , your ancillary list looks about right tho.
      Ya will need to do a search for all the proper info, but a replacement head for a 2.4 is known as a 3l (from a 2.8 I think) Modified & not a 3.0litre head..
      Never had to do this on my ol 1990 n the more informative will be along later ...

Sorry for repeating this ..... your up early Mark
      ps. Always check posts at the foot of the page also.
      Good Luck

There's always a Payback .... Don't expect a warning tho !!!!
      Last edited by Diezel Weazel; 12 November 2008, 09:03.
      Buncefield Burner

Comment

Originally posted by Diezel Weazel View Post
        Hi n Welcome Buddy, Nice Truck...
        Just so I read this proper ya Truck is a 2.4 ( it's early for me ) there's lots on 2.4 Head problems on here , your ancillary list looks about right tho.
        Ya will need to do a search for all the proper info, but a replacement head for a 2.4 is known as a 3l (from a 2.8 I think) Modified & not a 3.0litre head..
        Never had to do this on my ol 1990 n the more informative will be along later ...

Sorry for repeating this ..... your up early Mark
        ps. Always check posts at the foot of the page also.
        Good Luck

up early jess,im at work mate.been here ###### ages.
        www.overfab.uk

Comment

Originally posted by surfenstein View Post
          up early jess,im at work mate.been here ###### ages.
          I probably started typing while ya were posting ...

Buncefield Burner

Comment

ok maybe not my last question i quess. been on the site now for 3 hours searching for the answers to my questions and cant seem to find them.
            my last question is can i swap my old cracked 2.4 valvetrain over to the new 3l head? or do i need a complete 3l head with all the valvetrain components(like valves, camshaft, springs etc.) will i need new valve seals? if swapping all parts to 3l is possible?
            secondly are there any visual differences betwwen the 2.4 head and 3l head?
            i quess i mean can you tell the difference between the two when installed on the motor?
            thanks for any help/advice
            1992 Hilux Surf Veggified

Comment

The short answer is yes the 2.4 valve train will fit. You may as well do the valve seals while it's apart. The 3L and 2L-TE heads have different part numbers but are basically the same head and I have no idea of visual differences. 3L and 2L-TE cams are different as well, but I think this is just the way they are ground and still fit either head. I know an Aussie guy who has the 3L cam in his 2L-T so they must fit.

Nev

Comment

Working...
              X