Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil drain plug?

Hey guys.

Going to change my oil and filter this weekend so need some advice.

Have checked back posts using the search function and haven't been able to find the information I need.

Where exactly is the drain plug?

Description would be great, but picture would be better.

Only asking as there seems to be 2 to choose from on my '93 2.4 td.

Thanks in advance.

Typsey

Sorry, no pics, but lay on the floor, then pull yourself under the car, ignore the bash plate, then go past the diff crossmember, and behind that you'll see the lower bulge of the sump, the drain plug is there. Its a 14 or 17mm bolt. Once you've found it, its easier to get to it from the side (drivers).

No need to juck the car up, or remove sumpguard.
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by The Typsey Russell
      Hey guys.

Going to change my oil and filter this weekend so need some advice.

Have checked back posts using the search function and haven't been able to find the information I need.

Where exactly is the drain plug?

Description would be great, but picture would be better.

Only asking as there seems to be 2 to choose from on my '93 2.4 td.

Thanks in advance.

Typsey
      Don't do anything until you have found the plate under the drivers wing to get the old oil filter out.
      Don
      Still rolling and waving

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
        No need to juck the car up, or remove sumpguard.
        Hows he gonna drink beer under then ???

Comment

Cheers guys

Comment

Make sure the oil is warm before you drain out, It will run out easier and take all the crud with it. Run the engine for about 5 minutes before draining.

Cheers

P.S.
            And try not to drop the drain plug in the oil drainer can. It ain't very nice - and a speak from much experience.
            Last edited by lucky; 21 April 2004, 14:54.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL
              Hows he gonna drink beer under then ???
              Lift it with big tyres! The only time I need to get the jack out is to remove a tyre.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

I'm doing an oil filter change myself this weekend....

What's the best and most expensive engine oil money can buy!!!
                Also how much will I need?

Info much appreciated....
                3rd Gen 96' Blue N Silver 3.0ltr TD

Comment

Originally posted by winnybob
                  I'm doing an oil filter change myself this weekend....

What's the best and most expensive engine oil money can buy!!!
                  Also how much will I need?

Info much appreciated....
                  Mobil Synthetic Turbo Diesel oil. Mind you it's as rare as hens teeth and costs something like £35 for 4.5 litres.

Seem to remember that 6.5 Litres should do it.

I use Castrol GTD Magnatec. To be honest if you do the oil changes at the proper frequency any old Turbo Diesel oil will do as it doesn't get time to really break down. I use the Castrol because I do quite a lot of high speed motorway driving.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by lucky
                    Mobil Synthetic Turbo Diesel oil. Mind you it's as rare as hens teeth and costs something like £35 for 4.5 litres.

Seem to remember that 6.5 Litres should do it.

I use Castrol GTD Magnatec. To be honest if you do the oil changes at the proper frequency any old Turbo Diesel oil will do as it doesn't get time to really break down. I use the Castrol because I do quite a lot of high speed motorway driving.

Cheers
                    Thanks Lucky.......I was thinking about doing a one off 'Slik 50 job' while doing the change this time round. My baby has done 122k(km) So this will probably be the one and only time I'll need to treat it.
                    Any one else benefitted from using slik 50?..as in noticed any difference before and after?

Cheers....Boys & Linda

Comment

Any one else benefitted from using slik 50?..as in noticed any difference before and after?

Cheers....Boys & Linda
                      bit of info here http://homepage.ntlworld.com/cains1/Fuel_saving_oil.htm
                      [font=Times New Roman][size=3]
                      [size=5][/size]
                      [/size][/font][font=Times New Roman][size=3][b][i][color=blue]I[/color][color=royalblue]a[/color][color=deepskyblue]n[/color] [color=blue]トヨタの[/color][color=royalblue]波92 のssr[/color][color=deepskyblue][color=royalblue]-g[/color] 擁護者[/color][/i][/b][/size][/font]

Comment

Thanks Gemini......Just saved me £30 quid...

Comment

Thanks Gemini......Just saved me £30 quid...
                          ive never rated it anyway, when it came out it was directed at tired engines and gearboxes, the small tins of stp oil treatment or molyslip are just as good
                          [size=5][/size]
                          [/size][/font][font=Times New Roman][size=3][b][i][color=blue]I[/color][color=royalblue]a[/color][color=deepskyblue]n[/color] [color=blue]トヨタの[/color][color=royalblue]波92 のssr[/color][color=deepskyblue][color=royalblue]-g[/color] 擁護者[/color][/i][/b][/size][/font]

Comment

Oil change

The filter will be as tight as F_ _ _ K buy a 100mm (4") jubilee clip and tighten it to the filter, all you have to do is tap the clip with a long screw driver and hammer, and it will undo very easily, before you put the new filter on, tighten the clip on the filter, that way it won't get lost and it will all ready be on for the next filter change.

Comment

Originally posted by snowwolf
                              The filter will be as tight as F_ _ _ K buy a 100mm (4") jubilee clip and tighten it to the filter, all you have to do is tap the clip with a long screw driver and hammer, and it will undo very easily, before you put the new filter on, tighten the clip on the filter, that way it won't get lost and it will all ready be on for the next filter change.
                              these are cheap from machine mart
                              Attached Files
                              [size=5][/size]

Comment

Working...
                              X