Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• flickering turbo light and cigerette led

hi guys hoping you can help

my dad has just wired in a towbar and 30 amp feed from battery (via relay) for 12v in the rear

my problem is since the truck wont go above 2nd gear and im having to drive around either very slow or at stupid revs

im assuming theres a bad earth as the turbo light now filckers when engine running as does the cigerette lighter adaptor i have didnt before

things i have done to try and rectify

1. removed all towbar electrics
    2. remved 12v feed to rear
    3. checked and dwd40'd all connections i could find
    4. when checking under hood there where two pipes that came from under the turbo area that where full of sh** replaced
    5. replaced "relay" box under trim that house the gear levers
    6. swapped ecu (working) from other truck still the same

still the same please help

i have a l reg ssrg and a l reg ssrx as donor will the main ecu in the passenger footwell be compatible ?

cheers jon
    Last edited by BAV1; 12 July 2008, 15:05.

where is everyone have i been blacklisted

Comment

Check the vaccume pipes first ..... and the waste gate isnot stuck open

if you suspect the turbo take the feed pipe off and see if the impeller is ok
      ' You've arrived on a rather special night. It's one of the master's affairs.'

Comment

thanks mate checked all pipes seem ok there where two (that carry water) there where clogged replaced them i have also swapped both the ecu (passenger footwell) and ect drivers footwell no joy

somone said in another thread think it was tonyn that there is some type of connector on the gear box with 3 cables that when disconnected would allow me to change up manually i have disconnected the only one i could find no however need notice that if i cruise no throttle in drive and drop to 2nd i can feel the engine breaking does this mean im in the higher gear but no overdrive due to turbo

wheres the waste gate and which pipe to check the impeler would this stop me from changing into top gear

starting to panic spent £1000 only 2 weeks ago

thanks
        Last edited by BAV1; 12 July 2008, 21:54.

Comment

Originally posted by BAV1 View Post
          thanks mate checked all pipes seem ok there where two (that carry water) there where clogged replaced them i have also swapped both the ecu (passenger footwell) and ect drivers footwell no joy

somone said in another thread think it was tonyn that there is some type of connector on the gear box with 3 cables that when disconnected would allow me to change up manually i have disconnected the only one i could find no however need notice that if i cruise no throttle in drive and drop to 2nd i can feel the engine breaking does this mean im in the higher gear but no overdrive due to turbo

wheres the waste gate and which pipe to check the impeler would this stop me from changing into top gear

starting to panic spent £1000 only 2 weeks ago

thanks
          from the air filter there is a pipe to the turbo and a rubber bend , remove the rubber bend to the turbo and check there is no play in the impeller bearings .............it will be a intermittant problem at first than turn int a slug ................

Are you sure the autobox ecu replacement was good
          ' You've arrived on a rather special night. It's one of the master's affairs.'

Comment

thanks mate will check in the morning been messing with the damn thing all day i suspect its more electrical than mechanical

any more ideas on this would be appriciated i suspect a bad earth but im damned if i can find it

cheers

Comment

Check your fault codes and post them in a new thread (just in case it's missed)
              Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

no fault codes or engine warning light just the tubro light flickering away along with the led on the adaptor i have plugged into cigerette socket and i have testing on another car and adaptor is fine
                would adding a new earth from the batteries to the chasis help

next

both ecu and ect replacement arwe working from my other truck
                thanks mate
                Last edited by BAV1; 12 July 2008, 22:23.

Comment

i had a flickering turbo light once, and this was alternator related,
                  as i wired a feed into the alternator for a fuel heater,
                  once i diconnected the wire- all was ok again
                  Landcruiser Colorado
                  Sub. Forester

Comment

getting there i have disconnected the black plug on passenger side of gear box as adviced by tonyn where does the other end go

now have manual gears

i have also added a new earth strap to each battery still have flickering light

any ideas from here i am now getting the overdrive light flashing but at least can drive for now am i going to damage the truck driving it this way

would obviously like to get back to normal asap going to the lakes next weekend

somone in another thread mentioned running a temporary earth from chasis to gear box where would i tap the earth on the gearbox

thanks all
                    Last edited by BAV1; 13 July 2008, 16:02.

Comment

any ideas on how i get full auto gear change back guys i actually prefer it this way but this missus is worring about flickering lights

thanks in advance

Comment

hi all thanks for all your help

gearbox now sorted heres what i did if it helps new earth straps from both batteries and alternator and reseated earth on back of block

so now have full auto box back
                        just one problem left would really appriciate it when the engine is running even when cold the small fan INFRONT of radiator is constantly on relay checked ok the actual switch on the thermostat is working ok but tried to short to see if it would cut the fan off as it should but no joy still fan on perminatley

switched earth ?

any ideas guys i would like to get it back to the engine controlling it but i think i will also introduce a manual overdrive

thanks again

Comment

Working...
                        X