Diesel leak! failed MOT! HELP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diesel leak! failed MOT! HELP

Just failed mot on a diesel leak! only problem no one can see where it is coming from? the guy i got the surf off said he once saw a wet bit by top of fuel pump, but that looks ok? it is not dripping fast but a small patch appears underneath and when i stop after driving a little bit of vapour is visible from front grill!
    Anyone got any suggestions or experienced simmilar? it's a 1991 2.4 td auto.

Cheers

Dave

Invariably it is the top seal, just for the lid of the pump, its a fiddly but cheap fix. If your using veg stop for now and it should close up. Or try auto trans fluid as this helps to swell seals.
    Without Surf And Unhappy

Comment

Originally posted by The Lang-Shankit Scunner View Post
      Invariably it is the top seal, just for the lid of the pump, its a fiddly but cheap fix. If your using veg stop for now and it should close up. Or try auto trans fluid as this helps to swell seals.

HI, thanks for the advice, with the auto trans fluid, do you mean smear it around the outside of top cover gasket? how easy are the top gaskets to get from main dealer as i have one of these a few miles away.

Also are there any guides for replacing the seal?

Cheers
      Last edited by FLORIDA747; 16 June 2008, 16:32.

Comment

Originally posted by FLORIDA747 View Post
        HI, thanks for the advice, with the auto trans fluid, do you mean smear it around the outside of top cover gasket? how easy are the top gaskets to get from main dealer as i have one of these a few miles away.

Also are there any guides for replacing the seal?

Cheers
        I believe just putting some in the fuel tank (not too much) should do it, as you need it to get to the inside of the fuel pump to help re-seal the top. Use it as you would an injector cleaner, say around 250ml to a full tank of diesel.
        Mike G

Comment

Or n easier n quicker way is to fit a new fuel filter filled with ATF...
          I regularly put 1ltr ATF in the Tank now n again

There's always a Payback .... Ya just never ever see it Comin !!!!
          Buncefield Burner

Comment

Are you guys using any particular make? gotta say this is something i have never heard of

Comment

i just use the dextron 2 or 3 and fill the filter with it 3 or 4 times a year
              https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Gonna try this today, just checking it isn't a wind up as dont have cash for anymore faults! i am guessing you guys are all genuine and i appreciate all the help but just cant help being a bit worried as i have never heard of this.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by FLORIDA747 View Post
                  Gonna try this today, just checking it isn't a wind up as dont have cash for anymore faults! i am guessing you guys are all genuine and i appreciate all the help but just cant help being a bit worried as i have never heard of this.

Cheers
                  tis geniune, i have seal kit been trying to get rid of foc.

pm your addy i'll send it.

Steve
                  Should have bought a 3ltr

Comment

Well thanks to everyone my surf whent through its MOT today i must admit i thought it sounded strange, but hey it worked! we learn something every day!

Cheers Guys

Dave

Comment

Working...
                    X