over heating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• over heating

Picked up my new surf today 20 mins on road and temperature gauge is on red! RAC came checked and opened thermostat still bubbling over, have taken car back to seller who offered money back or repair head gasket only agreed todo this under pressure from very nice RAC man. What should I do?

Originally posted by cathyz
    Picked up my new surf today 20 mins on road and temperature gauge is on red! RAC came checked and opened thermostat still bubbling over, have taken car back to seller who offered money back or repair head gasket only agreed todo this under pressure from very nice RAC man. What should I do?
    Mmmmmmmm model 2.4 3.0????? tricky one this, has it just had the coolant flushed may have been an air lock. Did he do a pressure test??? yes no???? if no to the above i'd take my money back if he wont change the head as well.
    if its a 3.0 then a rethink.
    Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
    My choice
    Back off

Comment

over heating

RAC man thought it may be thermostat, wedged it open and was still blowing water into over flow, he said it was pressure getting in to force water the wrong way. he checked the radiator cap and said there was pressure there straight away . It's a 2.4 reg 1988, done 98 km we paid 5k for it, so could it be worth a go?

Comment

RAC man thought it may be thermostat, wedged it open and was still blowing water into over flow, he said it was pressure getting in to force water the wrong way. he checked the radiator cap and said there was pressure there straight away . It's a 2.4 reg 1988, done 98 km we paid 5k for it, so could it be worth a go?
        no, no send it back for £5000 you can get a lot better and newer motor than that who's the dealer
        [font=Times New Roman][size=3]
        [size=5][/size]
        [/size][/font][font=Times New Roman][size=3][b][i][color=blue]I[/color][color=royalblue]a[/color][color=deepskyblue]n[/color] [color=blue]トヨタの[/color][color=royalblue]波92 のssr[/color][color=deepskyblue][color=royalblue]-g[/color] 擁護者[/color][/i][/b][/size][/font]

Comment

NO NO NO NO NO not for a 1988 2.4 not for that money get your money back and look around again as Ian says you can get a better newer motor for that sort of money. Get your money back while the offer is there.

Never ever heard of only the head gasket going so if its pressure in the cooling system the heads gone, a new gasket won't make a blind bit of difference.

Get your money back come back here and look in the dealers section for good dealers, look in the for sales theres some good motors in there as well and ask Bob (hilux) and Andy what they have got in stock both on this forum.
          Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
          My choice
          Back off

Comment

The head gasket can go - I know. Mine went a year after the head was renewed by the dealer who sold it me. I think the guy who put the new head on was out of his depth and perhaps did not use new stretch bolts. My point though is that I would want to examine the head before a gasket is replaced and to be sure that new stretch bolts are used.
            I feel that you paid too much as I paid £4100 18 months ago for a 2.4 ssr-x 1991 with 98000km on the clock - believable, new tyres and towbar included.

Keith

Comment

Cathy. Get your money back. I paid just under £6K for a 1992 with (allegedly) 60K miles on the clock. Clean as a whistle too. Shop around and you will find a good un.
              It's only a hobby!

Comment

Working...
              X