yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Metallic Clattering sound from Engine ?!?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Metallic Clattering sound from Engine ?!?!

Over the last couple of weeks my engine had developed an intermittent metallic clattering sound over various rev ranges from start up all the way through to 4000 rpm. When you come off the gas it subsides. It sounds almost as if there is a piece of metal flapping around in the engine bay or something stuck in the exhaust down pipe?

I have checked heat shields exhaust mounts etc, all are secure. The engine runs fine, no loss of power or anything.

Does anyone have any idea what might be the problem?

Also, I am after a blower motor if anyone has one on a breaking surf (is it easy to replace?)

Originally posted by JonTurt View Post
    Also, I am after a blower motor if anyone has one on a breaking surf (is it easy to replace?)
    Only three screws in the bottom IIRC and the wiring connector.

Nev

Comment

could be your dual mass flywheel breaking up. I've just changed mine, (absolute sod of a job), but it's still making the noise, although no-where near as often, or as loud as before.
      .....and then it turned blue, and dropped off!!!

Comment

oil change?
        Tim
        Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

I carry out frequent oil changes so doubt this would be the cause. Thanks for looking.

Comment

What do you mean by clattering exactly? A metal vibration type sound, or a metal striking metal type sound? Does it appear if you rev the engine whilst stationary, or only whilst in motion?

Comment

Originally posted by JonTurt View Post

if you can come take it out friday morning, my breaker's being picked up friday lunchtime but it still has the motor in and no dash in the way so it's easy to get at. If you can't get here to get it out i will if i get time. But i gotta finish refitting an axle first so it can be driven onto a trailer.

I'm in ashford btw.
              =========
              =SOLD UP!=
              =========

Comment

I'm no expert but I had exactly the same symptoms on a Charade GTti a few Years ago.

It turned out to be the turbo thrust bearing in the end, it took a couple of weeks from the first clattering sounds untill it started dumping oil into the engine and losing power.

Cheers

Chris
                Signature stolen along with Surf...

Comment

Nero,

Thanks, if you can get it out then great but I will be unable to come down as I am flat out with work all over the weekend. Let me know if you get it out 07968099942 Thanks

Comment

Matt F

The clattering sounds like a bolt or something similar being thrown around the inside of an exhaust pipe, and occurs in neutral when revving or when accelerating in any gear, however it is intermittent so it only happens occasionally.

Comment

I have almost exactly the same symptoms, however, I can make it happen when stationary by slamming a door. It seems to be the core of the rad has separated at the bottom left from the side piece with the mount on, and sort of creaks, though its more of a mix of metallic rattle and creak.
                      Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

If its a manual gear change, could be the clutch pressure plate or release bearing. The pressure plates make al sorts of noises if one of the spring arms breaks up. As already stated, dual mass fly wheel is another option. There is a good chance you will find the cause if you take the gearbox off.

Comment

Hi

I had a similar problem. Turned out to be the crank pulley working loose. Eventually the woodrough key fell out and cracked the pulley leaving me with no ancillary drives. A quick and cheap job to tighen up the crank bolt. I was lucky I only cracked the pulley. Replacement was 25 quid from ebay.

Good luck

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by corsetts View Post
                            I'm no expert but I had exactly the same symptoms on a Charade GTti a few Years ago.

It turned out to be the turbo thrust bearing in the end, it took a couple of weeks from the first clattering sounds untill it started dumping oil into the engine and losing power.

Cheers

Chris
                            Hi is this an easy fix to replace the thrust bearing on a tubo or do you have to replace the turbo as mine make the same noise and it sounds like its coming from the turbo makes the main noise at just under 2000rpm Cheers Mac

Comment

Working...
                            X