How to remove the Aircon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to remove the Aircon?

After the "Wot no Viscous Fan" thread, I have decided to remove the Aircon because:
    1, It does not work and have never used aircon in any vehicle.. only cold blowers and window open.
    2, I want access to the underside as i'm getting into the tinkering of engines.
    3, Increased fuel economy as I believe there is a hellav a lot of Junk associated with the Aircon.
    4, I have no skin left on my knuckles anyway due to the prev thread.

I have searched the forum for a walkthrough of sorts and found none. I'm pretty good but I just don't know what i'm looking at when it comes to engines (i'm learning though)

I figure if you guys can give me pointers and i'll take pics as I go along then this can become a sort of how to (or how not to) for anyone who wants to do this?

Then I can think of something to use my aircon button for

Now, where do I start? (i'll be doing it over the next few days)

Firstly You'll have to de-pressureise it (if there is any pressure in it!) don't just undoo the pipes as there is some pressure there and

1) its cold

and

2) R12 gas is harmful to the environment

Removing the compressor is easy, undoo the 4 bolts that secure it and it lifts off, Some people on here modify the brackets to make more room, to remove the air con rad drop the sump guard & undo the 4 bolts holding the rad to the frame, remove the 2 pipes from the side and the 2 connectors for the fans, the rad and fans come of in a oneer.

I habent removed the pipes or air drier..... yet!!
    Bring me the head of a treehugger

Comment

Cheers coolsv650, BUT as i said I don't know what i'm looking at when it comes to engines. SO:
      Where is the compressor and what does it look like?
      " " " " " " Sump Guard?

Is there a diagram or a list (like a Haynes) that I can get electronically?

I have checked the yellow sticker and it is R12 that's not in it anymore.
      Last edited by donkeyporge; 25 April 2008, 14:22.

Comment

the compressor is front of the engine bay and on the left, top most belt driven thing in the engine bay.

The sump guard is the metal plate at the front of the car underneath the bumper if you remove that you will see the air con rad! sorry dont have any pics!

Comment

http://toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/24lteparts.htm

pic no. 3 is the compressor - remove it and all pipes attached to it.

remove sump guard - bash plate - and the 'radiator' (air con condenser) that you can see needs to be dropped and taken off.

two fans come off with it. disconnect from the wiring harness.

cut the air con fan belt to remove - easier than taking off the pulleys.
          Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

beware of earthing strapsattached to the aircon rad ..........some japenese person wired GWH's started motor relay to it and we spent hours trying to work out why it wouldn't start after it was removed
            ' You've arrived on a rather special night. It's one of the master's affairs.'

Comment

Working...
            X