Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• transmission leak..help needed pls

hi all
    i got a leak, its comming from the drivers side of the engine only and i think its transmission oil " reddy brown oil".
    reason why "i sunk the wheel yesterday in gravel ..spinng to get out, rocks flying everywhere , got out then noticed this leak ".
    it seems to be coming from half way up the engine "maybe" , and only on the drivers side of the engine, leaking thro the bash plate at the bottom of engine.
    ive checked the oil levels on transmission and they are low.
    any idea's on what i hit and broke yesterday ?
    and how can i fix this prob?
    its a 1992 2.4 auto

thanks all in advance for any help
    Last edited by zacco hilux ssx 2.5td 91; 14 April 2008, 13:26.
    zacco

Hey Zacco,

I'll be driving past Port Talbot about 6.30 tomorrow evening - do you want me to call in and have a look?

I've just text you - don't know if you've got the same number tho'
    Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

your a star andrew thanks so much m8.
      zacco

Comment

Well well, what an unusual fault that was!

After tearing out the aircon to see what was what, Mathew turned the engine over. Some sparks shot out of the engine, under the alternator.

The main earth lead (very dirty and long time disconnected) had dislodged from wherever it had been stuck and was resting on one of the steel ATF pipes.

This had burned a small pin hole in the pipe hence the leak.

Matt will try a repair but it may well be a replacement pipe.

There's always something to learn about Surf ownership lol.

Comment

can you let me know exactly what and where the pipe is as i may have one you can have.If its one of the 2 small pipes that run along the block to the box then i'm sorry i aint got those
          https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce View Post
            can you let me know exactly what and where the pipe is as i may have one you can have.If its one of the 2 small pipes that run along the block to the box then i'm sorry i aint got those
            yes the pipes that run from rad to box , cheers m8
            zacco

Comment

Originally posted by zacco hilux ssx 2.5td 91 View Post
              yes the pipes that run from rad to box , cheers m8
              i will have a look and see if they are still here and let you know tomorrow
              https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

I think I still have those in the garage somewhere.
                If I have you can have them.

Comment

Originally posted by The Lovely Boyo View Post
                  Well well, what an unusual fault that was!

After tearing out the aircon to see what was what, Mathew turned the engine over. Some sparks shot out of the engine, under the alternator.

The main earth lead (very dirty and long time disconnected) had dislodged from wherever it had been stuck and was resting on one of the steel ATF pipes.

This had burned a small pin hole in the pipe hence the leak.

Matt will try a repair but it may well be a replacement pipe.

There's always something to learn about Surf ownership lol.

cheers andrew for today,going to get some liquid metal tomoz and scrub the pipes down first, phoned supersurf he going to see if he got the pipes there tomoz too ,might aswell try and give it a temp fix ,but get a good job done asap.
                  when you took your aircon out did you block any hole going in to the engine ?
                  the earth musta welded to the pipe the i musta shook it loose causing a pinhole ?
                  thanks agian for quality info andrew,see you soon m8
                  Last edited by zacco hilux ssx 2.5td 91; 15 April 2008, 21:54.
                  zacco

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                    I think I still have those in the garage somewhere.
                    If I have you can have them.
                    thankyou bushwacker theres two,only one i need i think its the smaller of the two ill check tomoz
                    zacco

Comment

Originally posted by zacco hilux ssx 2.5td 91 View Post
                      thankyou bushwacker theres two,only one i need i think its the smaller of the two ill check tomoz
                      As a temporary fix, use a small piece of rubber to cover the hole and a small Jubilee clip to hold it in place.

Comment

As a temporary fix, use a small piece of rubber to cover the hole and a small Jubilee clip to hold it in place.
                        even better fix that ,thanks BW.
                        its not under great presure should do it as a temp.
                        morrison atf "texaco"make is £1.09 for 500ml cheap as chips,castrol atf £7.99 for 500ml.
                        going to need 8 bottles roughly, minus the amount thats in there all ready,am i right?
                        zacco

Comment

Good idea Vince, I've got some of that hose here - Matt give me a ring.

Looking at the dip stick, you'll only need a couple of litres. Actually, drain the box while you're under there would be best. But you'll still only need about 4 litres.

Vince - PM me your mobile number - I'm working in Ebbw Vale next week so could drop in if you've got that pipe - its the shorter of the two. I can hear your sheddy V8 as well lol.

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce View Post
                            i will have a look and see if they are still here and let you know tomorrow
                            theres two,only one i need i think its the smaller of the two, cheers storm force.
                            zacco

Comment

well the job is done, vince's way seems to be holding tight no drips,got some liquid metal just incase this fails,it took 3 liters of atf,and levels look fine.
                              thankyou all for digging around your aladins cave's "sheds" to see if you got these pipes ,much apperciated.
                              pm me if anybody finds one !!!
                              thanks all
                              zacco

Comment

Working...
                              X