Cooling System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cooling System

My missus has a 1991 2.4TD. She told me last night that there was a 'bubbling' sound coming from under the bonnet when she stopped. I took it around the block and the temp went through the roof. The bubbling was high pressure steam being pushed into the coolant reservoir. It was really low on water so I filled it up and let it run for a while. The bubbling is still there but it doesn't appear to be losing water. Any ideas what the problem could be and where in Essex I could get it looked at?

We're relatively new to this Hilux game and could use any assistance you could give us with this. Thanks

Originally posted by TorchTheRed
    My missus has a 1991 2.4TD. She told me last night that there was a 'bubbling' sound coming from under the bonnet when she stopped. I took it around the block and the temp went through the roof. The bubbling was high pressure steam being pushed into the coolant reservoir. It was really low on water so I filled it up and let it run for a while. The bubbling is still there but it doesn't appear to be losing water. Any ideas what the problem could be and where in Essex I could get it looked at?

We're relatively new to this Hilux game and could use any assistance you could give us with this. Thanks
    Make sure all heaters are open to the red (front and rear) run it for a couple of minutes then check the level again. Don't fill it throught the expansion as this only holds a couple of inches of coolant anyway. Fill it through the rad cap, top it up and run it again for a couple of minutes then check the levels. Repeat this until its full, check it again after taking it for a short run, hopefully it was just an airlock that has moved.
    It would be worthwhile getting it pressure tested though.
    Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
    My choice
    Back off

Comment

Cheers Koi - will try this tonight

Comment

slydog

hiya mate where abouts are you in essex im in dagenham mark
        black n tan
        black n tan
        yes i am a dobermann man

Comment

i took my thermostat out & it sorted it out, could be sticking, replace it !

(\__/)
          (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
          (")_(")

Comment

Alrighty then!

Tried getting rid of the air with no luck, hoiked the thermostat out with no luck and replaced the pressure cap (the rubber was hard and perished) and all is still not well. I'm going to try 'burping' it (as per the tech notes on the forum) and see how it goes.

Thanks everyone for your help.

BTW slydog, I'm in Tiptree

Comment

Working...
            X