Metallic Fluttering sound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Metallic Fluttering sound

I am new to Surfing and thanks to advice on this forum I have joined and subscribed and now I have a new problem.

Hope someone can help, just after changing my timing belt I started to get a metallic fluttering sound from behind the dash board. I have checked turbo heat shield etc, but its still there. I had a timing issue, fixed it and the flutter went away.

Now its back, sometimes under acceleration, breaking and idling.

All the timing belt components were ok.

Not sure what else to check?

Chris

Have you checked the condition of the crankshaft pulley? It has a rubber bit in the middle (a harmonic balancer apparently) that can debond from the rest of the pulley particularly if it has been removed using the incorrect tools. It makes a kind of chirruping sound as it moves backwards and forwards and rubs the cambelt cover.

Comment

Ditto.

Comment

Thanks guys I'll check it at the weekend.

Chris

Comment

I would check it earlier if you are driving this Surf every day. It do not take much for crank pulley to drop off and it can make a lot of mess in engine bay + you loose power steering etc. It's easy to check - switch engine on stay exactly on a side (left or right) of engine and check if pulley is moving forward backward or wobbling slightly. If yes, change it.

Comment

Just checked the pulley, its ok. I would have thought that i it was the pulley the sound would be fairly constant. This sound is very intermitant which make finding it hard.

I'll keep trying!

Chris

Comment

Working...
            X