Rear window wont open.So cannot open tail gate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear window wont open.So cannot open tail gate

Please can some one give me some advice. The rear window on my 1992 2.4L surf will not open. Its fully shut and when I press the up button I hear a kind of alarm noise. But when I press the down button nothing happens. I have had a current tester on the back of the switch and it does not light up. All the other windows work OK. Is there a separate relay for the rear window? Also i am unable to open the tail gate even if i by pass the mechanism and pull on the cables. Please help

The alarm means that one of the interlocks is operating. As it wont go down (normally wont go up!) then it is likely to be the rear wiper, make sure that it is switched off and is all the way home in its cradle.

Regards

Rich.
    If life's an uphill struggle then downhill from now on can't be that bad?!

Comment

Originally posted by rich
      The alarm means that one of the interlocks is operating. As it wont go down (normally wont go up!) then it is likely to be the rear wiper, make sure that it is switched off and is all the way home in its cradle.

Regards

Rich.
      Thanks for the reply rich.... Yes the wiper is all the way in the cradle. Ive had to wire the rear window motor to a 12v battery to get the window down so i know the motors OK. Is there anything else i can check. Could it be the relays(is it the blue box that also makes the alarm sound?) I see a lot of people have had relay problems and made up there own to get round this problem. I also have no hair left cause I've pulled it all out over this infuriating window.

Comment

Originally posted by kes101
        Thanks for the reply rich.... Yes the wiper is all the way in the cradle. Ive had to wire the rear window motor to a 12v battery to get the window down so i know the motors OK. Is there anything else i can check. Could it be the relays(is it the blue box that also makes the alarm sound?) I see a lot of people have had relay problems and made up there own to get round this problem. I also have no hair left cause I've pulled it all out over this infuriating window.
        Oww by the way the alarm thing only sounds when i press the up button(when window fully closed) when i press the down button i get nothing

Comment

Before you rip the rear panel off to find the relay, gain access to the inside of the tailgate door lock. There is a microswitc attached to the barrel of the lock. Remove the plastic cover protecting the lock, and give the lock a good dose of WD40. Squirt some into the lock via the keyhole too, then try the lock a few times in each direction.
          Pete

Comment

Please can some one give me some advice. The rear window on my 1992 2.4L surf will not open. Its fully shut and when I press the up button I hear a kind of alarm noise. But when I press the down button nothing happens. I have had a current tester on the back of the switch and it does not light up. All the other windows work OK. Is there a separate relay for the rear window? Also i am unable to open the tail gate even if i by pass the mechanism and pull on the
            cables. Please help
            there are micro switches on the tail gate latches as well. the alarm is to tell you the door is`nt shut right. if the switches get dirty the controler thinks the door is`nt shut and wont let the glass move.
            jim.b.

1990 SSR LTD 2LTE auto
            1985 SR V8 4.4 litre manual

Comment

Thank you all so much...

Originally posted by kiwi-jim
              there are micro switches on the tail gate latches as well. the alarm is to tell you the door is`nt shut right. if the switches get dirty the controler thinks the door is`nt shut and wont let the glass move.

Thank you every body who offered me advise on my window problem. I was going to call an auto electrician. But with the advise i received here in this forum i tackled the job myself. It looks very much like the relay unit. I cleaned all the workings of the window(wound it down by direct 12v to the motor) and it will go up OK on the key and inner switch but will not come down. The relay just makes a clicking sound. And hey...You guys even give advice on making your own relays......WOW your the best. Many thanks

Comment

Rear window problem

Originally posted by kes101 View Post
                Thank you every body who offered me advise on my window problem. I was going to call an auto electrician. But with the advise i received here in this forum i tackled the job myself. It looks very much like the relay unit. I cleaned all the workings of the window(wound it down by direct 12v to the motor) and it will go up OK on the key and inner switch but will not come down. The relay just makes a clicking sound. And hey...You guys even give advice on making your own relays......WOW your the best. Many thanks
                to all:i am new here.i had the same problem while ago n i found out its the switch button next gear lever.if u pull out the switch n connect the two terminals with tip of a screwdriver.will work.hope helps

Comment

Working...
                X