Glowplugs not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glowplugs not working

As the title suggests,Ok here's the deal, friday night I went through deep water at speed (didn't see the flooded road in time) when I next came to start the beast from cold had to crank her over for quite some time before she started.
    Anyway the glowplug fuse looks intact and I can hear the relay clicking but I can;t seem to be able to get 12v on the bus bar for the glowplugs. Now from what I have found when searching the forum, therre are two relays, a square one and a round one. having looked at the round one with the two big cables on it (like a starter relay) one terminal has 12v but on turning the ignition on the other terminal still has no volts.
    Anyone shed any light on what I should check next and how?

Cheers Si

The bus bar is plastic coated are you sure you have made contact with your tester. if you havent changed your plug for i long time i would do it any way it's cheap and easy
    www.cnpbetterhomes.co.uk

Comment

Hmm ok will check that tomorrow if I can get someone to turn the key while I work the meter.

Comment

So r u saying that water went into ur air inlet. Which in turn means u have water in ur engine??

Comment

Originally posted by BEAST View Post
          So r u saying that water went into ur air inlet. Which in turn means u have water in ur engine??
          No not at all engine runs fine just takes ages to start from cold.

Comment

Ok update: Thanks Tiger for the info about the plastic coating lol. So with some help I have tested for voltage at the bus bar and found 11.75v on first turning the ignition on dropping to 8.5 after about 3 or 4 seconds.
            I am now forced to assume the glowplugs are at fault. Do they normally give out so suddenly? The truck was starting fine the previous day.
            Btw does £10.70 + vat each sound right for NGK glowplugs?

Cheers Si

Comment

Yes they can give up at any minute, usually on a cold morning and you need to get somewhere desperately

Oh and that price is cheap mate, i would maybe try and get some a little better £16 or so, although they should be just fine dude
              Without Surf And Unhappy

Comment

As always, get a set of long-neck sockets, or you'll be doing 1/32 turns with a spanner. With the right tools, job takes about 1.5 hours end-to-end. Roughtrax have the good quality plugs.

Comment

Working...
                X