Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need advices...

Hi All,

i am new to this forum. My main reason to join this forum so that I could ask questions about Hilux Surf 2.4l 1992 thinking of buying it.
    I was just wondering whether you can give me some advices on what to look for and avoid. I also heard that they having problem with cooling system, has been rectified?

Cheers,

Originally posted by dearot
    Hi All,

i am new to this forum. My main reason to join this forum so that I could ask questions about Hilux Surf 2.4l 1992 thinking of buying it.
    I was just wondering whether you can give me some advices on what to look for and avoid. I also heard that they having problem with cooling system, has been rectified?

Cheers,
    Main problem is with the cylinder heads cracking. I personally wouldn't buy a 2.4 unless the seller could prove that it had been fitted with the upgraded 3L (from a 2.8 litre engine....) head.

You may find better local advice here:

http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/

Comment

They suffer from head gaskets and heads going...

i think im right in saying the waterways in the head are narrow and theres not many of them, leading to overheating.

Most will have been fixed by now. Its down to taking a chance.

Im not sure what they cost where you are but if you can afford a 3.0ltr version you will reap the benefits.

Comment

Thanks for the advice guys...what is the fuel consumption of 3.0l compared to 2.4l? I assum 3.0l is also a diesel engine right?!

Comment

what is the fuel consumption of 3.0l compared to 2.4l? I assum 3.0l is also a diesel engine right?!
          The same fuel consumption.

There is a 3L petrol. Faster and smoother but less torquey and very thirsty.

Comment

No i dont think I will go with 3.0 petrol with the price of petrol now...

Comment

No i dont think I will go with 3.0 petrol with the price of petrol now...
              It's the equivalent of $2.30 over here........

Comment

Originally posted by Sancho
                It's the equivalent of $2.30 over here........
                thought the aussie dollor was alot more sancho m8 to our pound?

Comment

Originally posted by pirate-storm
                  thought the aussie dollor was alot more sancho m8 to our pound?
                  I hope not.....

If it is, I wish I had kept that job I had in Sydney four years ago where they paid me $55,000 and I didn't think it was very much.

Comment

Originally posted by Sancho
                    The same fuel consumption.

There is a 3L petrol. Faster and smoother but less torquey and very thirsty.
                    The fuel consumption on a 3.0l is better than the 2.4, i went from a 2.4 to a 3.0 and get an extra 110k cos i don't have to drive it as hard to get a response, especially on motorways.
                    Welcome to the forum Gus.
                    http://www.apspropertyfix.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by Antshiel
                      The fuel consumption on a 3.0l is better than the 2.4, i went from a 2.4 to a 3.0 and get an extra 110k cos i don't have to drive it as hard to get a response, especially on motorways.
                      Welcome to the forum Gus.
                      So what is the fuel consumption of your 3.0l Antshiel?

Comment

I keep accurate mileage figures for my 3.0L. The annual average is 22mpg. The worst tends to be either towing or doing short local journeys, when it can drop to 18-19mpg. The best is motorway cruising at around 55-60mph when the consumption falls to around 28-29mpg.

Hope that helps.
                        Mike G

Comment

Working...
                        X