Smoke on start up but not blue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smoke on start up but not blue

My Surf always starts on the button from cold or hot but when it starts from cold it smokes quite a lot. The smoke is black as if it's over injecting or as if the cold start device has a fault. It does not use any oil so that rules that out. When its warm it does not smoke at all. It only does it when its stone cold and then wont do it all day long. The engine has been properly rebuilt with no expense spared. Apart from this it is exellent. The surf is a 93 2.4 Turbo. I have not done the smoke mod as I have been running it in and did'nt want to deprive the engine of fuel during this important phase. It smoked before it was rebuilt on first start but was rebuilt due to it spinning a big end bearing. Anyone have any ideas or pointers??? Thanks

Originally posted by gkm24
    My Surf always starts on the button from cold or hot but when it starts from cold it smokes quite a lot. The smoke is black as if it's over injecting or as if the cold start device has a fault. It does not use any oil so that rules that out. When its warm it does not smoke at all. It only does it when its stone cold and then wont do it all day long. The engine has been properly rebuilt with no expense spared. Apart from this it is exellent. The surf is a 93 2.4 Turbo. I have not done the smoke mod as I have been running it in and did'nt want to deprive the engine of fuel during this important phase. It smoked before it was rebuilt on first start but was rebuilt due to it spinning a big end bearing. Anyone have any ideas or pointers??? Thanks
    when were the air and fuel filters changed last and also some atf or redex in the tank to help clean the fuel system
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

It's normal. Mine does thatbut is fine after about 15 seconds. Don't worry.

Comment

Thanks for the info. The filters are all new as per the rebuilt engine. I was going to get the injectors done but if thats pretty standard then I will leave it. Spent a fortune on it already and am now selling it but want it to be right for the prospective buyer. wife won't drive it so had to buy a Land Rover. Surf has loads more character.

Comment

Originally posted by gkm24
          Thanks for the info. The filters are all new as per the rebuilt engine. I was going to get the injectors done but if thats pretty standard then I will leave it. Spent a fortune on it already and am now selling it but want it to be right for the prospective buyer. wife won't drive it so had to buy a Land Rover. Surf has loads more character.
          just pour some redex/atf into the tank and do the egr mod and it will probably be a lot better then
          https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Working...
          X