No announcement yet.

Water/methanol injection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It creates a more effective version of driving in freezing fog, thats when an engine would perform at its best. Lowering the temp makes the air more dense and thus improves performance, addin the alchohol would increase the explosion givin more power, WI is my next mod, as from what ive read its cheap to buy and effective for performance and emmissions.

Quite excited about it just now, Does the kit have evrything needed or does it need adapting?
    Without Surf And Unhappy

Comment

i will watch this space then!
      Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Methanol

Bikenuts, I'll be running a bit of methanol in my mix. My mechanical fuel injection system stops adding fuel at about 7 psi and I'm running 9 psi. Thus, I've got some extra air that needs a bit of fuel.

I did some research on water/meth and the surface tension of the water drops with the addition of some methanol. This speeds up evaporation. The first 10% of methanol decreases the surface tension (compared to 100% methanol) by 33%. The rate starts decreasing significantly after 20%. One fellow on a forum indicated that the maximum cooling occurred around 12-15% methanol. I suspect this is based upon water's superior latent heat of evaporation, so if you add too much methanol, you decrease the available cooling.

I also came upon some a chart which showed the cylinder head temperature dropping as you increased the water injection. The graph was relevant to a petrol engine, so the hotter head on a diesel would benefit even more - especially since you can run about twice as much water through a diesel before you begin to quench the combustion process. What was interesting was that the EGTs were about the same as the water increased. It appears that the water absorbs some of the heat that would be pushed into the engine components.

I'm still waiting for my brother to finish playing with my system so he can send it to me. I suppose it has worked out OK, as I have taken the time to do some research before I jump into WI.

I just came back from my factory where I make biodiesel methoxide. I use methanol to clean out the water in the pumps before making a batch. I brought back 20 litres of methanol lightly laced with a bit of water. Yep, I'm going to be using some methanol in my truck!

Check out the Oz Surf forum. I made up a check-valve boost controller that minimises boost creep. There is a fellow selling such a system for A$29.95 on Ebay and it is getting rave reviews on its performance.

Comment

Working...
        X