under pressure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• under pressure

Hello all new to this forum but not 4x4, fancied a change from the old pajero which has and is serving me well in the forestry industry, so i bought myself a hilux surf to try somthing different. i have not it yet as it was bought as a repair job, the previous owner had a new head replaced complete with rad cap, thermo and radiator but could not get it started i think he did the repairs himself. i have since got the engine running and it purrrs and runs well but there is a lot of coolant pressure from start up comming from the exspansion tank and the heater will not heat up, as i am aware this is the first time this has been started up since the new (not reconditioned) head has been replaced, is there anything to look at before i have it stripped down again ? can the head gasket be wrongly put on ? can air in the system cause this ?
    any help would be great
    thanks
    Rob

take your time in life you can't ride two horses with one a**e

Originally posted by tim.ber1
    Hello all new to this forum but not 4x4, fancied a change from the old pajero which has and is serving me well in the forestry industry, so i bought myself a hilux surf to try somthing different. i have not it yet as it was bought as a repair job, the previous owner had a new head replaced complete with rad cap, thermo and radiator but could not get it started i think he did the repairs himself. i have since got the engine running and it purrrs and runs well but there is a lot of coolant pressure from start up comming from the exspansion tank and the heater will not heat up, as i am aware this is the first time this has been started up since the new (not reconditioned) head has been replaced, is there anything to look at before i have it stripped down again ? can the head gasket be wrongly put on ? can air in the system cause this ?
    any help would be great
    thanks
    Rob

take your time in life you can't ride two horses with one a**e

Yes sounds like air in the system, these can be a pig to burp. If you can face it uphill, run it with cap off for a time watching and topping up as you go. Then after a while if it doesnt need toppin up again leave it overnight facing uphill with cap OFF, put it on drivers seat to remember its off, then top up again in the morning. While doing all this heaters x2 if you have rear need to be on full heat to purge them. Anyway yes when start again in mornin run check tiop up for a bit, then if stayin level cap on and go for a drive. May take 2-3 weeks for all air to escape so it may seem as if shes using some for a while.

In expansion tank make sure there is only about 1/4 of coolant as it rises when hot.
    Without Surf And Unhappy

Comment

oh dear, tried this but i think it may be somthing else, when i take the rad cap of and start the engine the coolant pumps out of the cap, don't think its supposed to do this !!!
      Rob

Comment

Originally posted by tim.ber1
        oh dear, tried this but i think it may be somthing else, when i take the rad cap of and start the engine the coolant pumps out of the cap, don't think its supposed to do this !!!
        Rob
        maybe it would stop aft couple of seconds. If not, incorrect fitment or as sometimes happens head crack again.
        Without Surf And Unhappy

Comment

Working...
        X