Dead Clutch? Gearbox?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dead Clutch? Gearbox?

Hi there I wonder if anyone could give me any advise my 1990 imported Hilux Surf I was driving in 5th gear when the engine started revving as though it had jumped out of gear but on changing down I realised it hadn't as it was still revving.
    I had it towed to a local garage they diagnosed the hydraulics then the clutch they have now replaced the clutch and have rung me tonight to say tha it has made 'little difference' and they are now saying it might be the gearbox.
    I am loosing faith with the garage as the cost keeps going up and it is after all an old car.
    Could anyone advise the approx. cost of a gearbox or think of anything else (hopefully cheaper) it might be I think I might just have to pay for the clutch tow the car home and declare it dead if it is going to be lottsa money.
    Help!

Do you mean the engine is revving without touching the throttle, or the engine revs faster when in gear, as if the clutch is slipping or the gearbox is in neutral?

Comment

Hi thanks for the reply when you try to pull away the car starts moving slowly and when you accelerate the car doesnt go any faster but the revs go up as in the clutch slipping.The garage has fitted the new clutch and pressure plate and apparently it is doing the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Terry123
        Hi thanks for the reply when you try to pull away the car starts moving slowly and when you accelerate the car doesnt go any faster but the revs go up as in the clutch slipping.The garage has fitted the new clutch and pressure plate and apparently it is doing the same.

Sounds like a hydraulic issue then. Did they bleed the system? Maybe the slave cylinder is knackered. Can you get in into gear with the engine running and without pressing the clutch pedal?

It doesn't sound like the gearbox is the problem, they're pretty tough units..

Comment

Clutch Problem

Sorry but I do not think it is a hydraulic problem. The hydraulics only apply hydraulic pressure to DISENGAGE the clutch. The internal spring/springs on the pressure plate give the drive.
          If the hydraulics were faulty you could not disengage the drive to get it in to gear when the engine is running.
          It sounds like a shaft or selector problem in as much as when you select a gear it is perhaps not being selected in the gearbox.

Hope you get to the bottom of it.

Mike

Comment

Dude, no need to appologise, I'm just throwing suggestions out there and seeing if any stick!
            I agree with what you're saying though, but as the guy says he can get the truck into gear, but it doesn't increase speed with the engine revs, so I'm thinking a sticking slave or master cylinder piston in the clutch hydraulics, not fully releasing.
            Also. the clutch has been changed, so I guess the return springs are working.

Comment

a wild guess,
              but has the garage looked further along the drive train.
              i had an old transit which gace similair symptoms.
              luckily before we spent any cash on it (although we thought it was the clutch),our man in the garage found that the the dif pinion had snapped!!.
              so it was mgiving all the symptoms of a duff clutch
              Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Working...
              X