X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stalled... revved wild then eventually it won't start

hello sirs,

its the apprentice once again.

after i sent my surf 2.4D-TE for an engine wash, i notice a little increase in its revving.

but after 500 meters from the car wash, i suddenly noticed it lost power (stalled ) from 45kph down to 20kph even if i stepped hard on the gas pedal. the engine won't respond to rev up.

good thing i was able to bring it to my mechanic... observed it for a couple of minutes after restarting.. but after that start, the engine seemed to went wild with its rev went up to 6000rpm, then suddenly dropped down.

when i turned it off, and tried to restart it, it won't start anymore.

what could have happened? even my mechanic is also puzzled and i was left without my surf (leaving it sitting in the shop) for almost 5 days now.

though i have decided to changed engine to lessen my problems (probably will look for a 3L engine to replace the 2L-TE... can somebody shed light on the problem that i have just encountered?

thank you very much sirs.

ian

Originally posted by theapprentice
    what could have happened? even my mechanic is also puzzled and i was left without my surf (leaving it sitting in the shop) for almost 5 days now.
    Could be the ECU/sensors going mental. If you search for ECU diagnostics on the forum, should be plenty to be going on with.

Could also be totally crazy problems in the fuel system.

Comment

Water may have got into one or two of the sensors on and around the throttle body, or a vacuum pipe has been dislodged, see photo.
      Attached Files

Comment

Could have got water into the TPS. It's on the throttle body opposite the throttle linkage. Search the Aussie site (and Tech Site) for TPS. There's quite a bit of info on testing etc.

Nev

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
          Water may have got into one or two of the sensors on and around the throttle body, or a vacuum pipe has been dislodged, see photo.
          hi mr. bushwhacker sir, it seems that the vacuum hoses were all ok. after i left my surf there and almost 5 days... i haven't got back and tried if it could start then.

but do you think that if water could have got into the sensors, do you think it will be ok again if it dried up already considering that it's been 5 days now?

same question goes to sir nev, too. if water indeed went into the TPS, do you think after it dried up, will it be ok to start her again?

thank you very much guys.

p.s.

surf owners like me are really grateful that you have this great and very informative site. all of you are really cool and always willing to help with your advices to surf enthusiasts like us.

may your tribe continue to increase.

ian
          Last edited by theapprentice; 1 December 2007, 10:31.

Comment

Try and see if it goes. I would be tempted to pull the glow plugs and turn it over a few times first (then plug back in and go).

A liberal drenching in WD-40 or similar wouldn't be too bad an idea.

Comment

I would disconnect the air intake at the air cleaner housing before the filter and have a large chunk of rag handy before you attempt to start it. Why? Well, if it does start and then ends up reving the guts out of it and it gets to the stage where even turning the ignition off wont stop the engine you can then cut off the air supply. This is about the only way you can do it if the engine decides to run away and destroy itself and possibly anyone standing nearby. It's rare but can happen.

If it does start and revs out of control then start with the TPS, It's quite a delicate piece so if water has got in under pressure then damage to it may cause the symptoms you have.

Nev

Comment

hi it's me again sirs.

i dunno if i should make another thread for this or what, but can i ask if all 1991 surfs have identical Vehicle Identification Number?

a close friend would want to know about its VIN and or registration perhaps so he could look for the engine that i need?

as i have told you, i am planning to change my 2.4 2L-TE to a 3L with manual tranny.

what will i tell him back regarding the 3L engine that I am looking? is there a kinda special specifications of the 3L engine that should tell him so he could find the right engine for my 91 surf?

thanks again sirs.

Comment

Have you pulled the fault codes, this could be an easy way to find out whats wrong if its electrical.

Have you even tried it again? Its a coincedence it was just after cleaning it. Things often dry out in a while. Like nev said, remove a piece of the intake hose so you can block it if goes silly again.
                  4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Working...
                  X