2.4td overheating and more

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2.4td overheating and more

yesterday morning i started my surf up and let it tick over to heat up. i was locking my yard gate when i noticed water leaking from the front. when i lifted the bonnet the expansion tank was full and filling. so i took off the rad cap. to my surprise it started bubbling up. But alsothe water started getting blacker and blacker. after about 1-2 minutes of running it was nearly pure oil coming out of the rad cap, which also drained the engine sump dry off oil. i stopped it imediatly and have not run it since.

can anyone give me some advice of what the problem might be or point me in the right direction.

im sure its either the head gasket or a cracked head, but i dont want to believe it again.

I think you have to believe it, sorry...
    Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

There is a possibility of something else rather than a cracked head. Cracked heads or faulty head gaskets normally do not result in oil in the cooling system. It may be the oil cooler which has corroded and this is what's causing the oil to enter the cooling system.

Nev

Comment

overheating

do you think that the oil cooler would cause this, ie presurise the water system etc

so what do u think my next step should be. should i pull the head off for a look or investigate the oil cooler

any thoughts or ideas lads

Comment

It's the 'Bubbling up' bit that made me think of the head or gasket. The only time I ever saw pure oil in a water system was on an old Bedford TM that had frozen water jackets in the block. The main oilway from the filter was cracked into one of the jackets.

It was ok until the engine warmed up and the crack opened a bit. The oil pressure, being much higher than the water pressure, forced the oil into the water and lifted the relief thingy in the water filler cap.

That said, if you have an oil cooler or any other Oil/Water interface it's possible that's where the problem lies.
          Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

The oil cooler is on the side of block, drivers side. It's where you screw the filter on. To remove this means you have to dismantle almost everything on this side of the engine. This is a longshot, but you may be able to check by removing the oil filter. Refill the cooling system with enough water to top up. Pressurise the cooling system to about 20 PSI and then see if pressure will pump oil out of the filter ports or if coolant or water comes out. Never attempted this myself but it may work. Do not run the engine. There's a slim chance that by pressurising the cooling system may help in finding the source where oil is entering the cooling system. Sounds like the engine is really stuffed though.

Nev

Comment

Another long shot here but is it possible for oil to be forced into cooling system in the turbo as it's water cooled and has very high oil flow? Might also explain bubbling?
              My other cars a QUAD
              (sv1000spilot on surf forums)
              http://www.devonandcornwall4x4response.co.uk/index

Comment

cheers for the advice lads its helped alot. i will have a look at it at the weekend, but im not expecting to find good news.

i will have a look at the turbo, oil cooler and if all else fails i will take the head off for a look. im getting good at working at this surf lol.

i will let you all know the verdict

Comment

Head Help

Hi all, I brought my 1991 2.4 surf 6 weeks ago and it's been working great until xmas. It's been overheating, big time, but no heat coming into the cab! I was hoping it was the water pump but the garage "doesn't think so". They think it needs a new head. But the're not sure and didn't want to do the job anyway due to it being a pig to do plus they don't think it's worth it!
                  I live in Cornwall and need to get it fitted down here, if it is the head! Can anyone recommend a garage around the Truro area? Don't want to drive it too far!

Thanks

Ross

Comment

Originally posted by Mossup
                    Hi all, I brought my 1991 2.4 surf 6 weeks ago and it's been working great until xmas. It's been overheating, big time, but no heat coming into the cab! I was hoping it was the water pump but the garage "doesn't think so". They think it needs a new head. But the're not sure and didn't want to do the job anyway due to it being a pig to do plus they don't think it's worth it!
                    I live in Cornwall and need to get it fitted down here, if it is the head! Can anyone recommend a garage around the Truro area? Don't want to drive it too far!

Thanks

Ross
                    Hiya mossup.i know you don't want to drive too far but give Dave a ring at Treverbyn Motors in Camborne as he is the only guy i let work on my truck. he knows the imports as he does all the work for the showroom.

01209 718180
                    Treena will probably answer the phone and just say Richard with the black surf reccomended you
                    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ad.php?t=20328

Comment

Working...
                      X