Strange cabin heater issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange cabin heater issue

When I select defrost for my cabin heat, it takes almost the full heat setting to get the air fairly warm. If I select vent or feet, the same heat setting is enough to cook a chicken! If I select a combination - such as feet and defrost, and set the temperature somewhere near the middle, my feet are nice and warm but I get a cold draft off of the dash. If I feel the defrost vents with my hand, they are blowing cold air. If I turn the heat way up, the air gets nice and warm but my feet begin to blister in the heat.

Any ideas why this would occur? I get plenty of heat to the rear passenger heater as well.

Thanks

sounds very much like you have some pipework come loose under the dash,notably the 'feed' to the appropriate vents
    Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

I still have plenty of air flow that changes with the fan settings. Just a lack of heat. I would hate to have to take my dash apart....

Comment

Originally posted by SkydiverBC
        I still have plenty of air flow that changes with the fan settings. Just a lack of heat. I would hate to have to take my dash apart....
        do you select where the air flow comes out via a bank of prees buttons or do you have a dial you turn?
        Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

I have a bank of buttons along the top with a horizontal slider for temp control.

Comment

it is possible that this "bank" o switches is not working to well.im sure there is a big multi plug behind it,may be worth investigating that first.i initially thought it may be the water valve ,but as you get hot air it seems that is not the case,try that bank of switches,there may be a loose/broken wire behind.seems a lot simpler as well than stripping the dash down !!
            Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

It'll be the vent flaps inside the housing not working in correct sequence and probably a combination of deteriorated seals as well. A little tuning of the cable and mechanism on drivers side will help.

Nev

Comment

Originally posted by NiftyNev
                It'll be the vent flaps inside the housing not working in correct sequence and probably a combination of deteriorated seals as well. A little tuning of the cable and mechanism on drivers side will help.

Nev
                thank god you turned up nev.the bank of switches on mine were responsible for sort of the same thing,two wires were corroded and broken,been fine since the repair.
                Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

I will give that a try, when I have plenty of free time. Thanks for the info!

Comment

Originally posted by gwh200
                    the bank of switches on mine were responsible for sort of the same thing,two wires were corroded and broken,been fine since the repair.
                    If he suspects the switches then pressing each button and then watching the drive unit and cable which is on front of vent housing behind front centre console will help. If the switches aren't working then the cable will not move.

Nev
                    Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                    X