92 2.4 TD Turbo Replacement/Seals Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 92 2.4 TD Turbo Replacement/Seals Question

I've read up what I can about the turbo but I still need some additional guidance.
    I believe my turbo is passing some oil (not a lot) from the internal seals as I notice some smoke when I accelerate and the turbo spins up (I don't seem to have any significant smoking on startup but I do get some misfiring). I have some oil leaking from the inlet manifold gasket, and I have lost a small amount of oil (no longer on maximum). This I guess constitutes an air leak inwards when the turbo is stopped that is probably causing my mis-fire. Interestingly that problem disappears when the engine warms.

I've read that people recommend 'Turbo Tech' for replacements. Nobody has quoted a cost for this item from them and I haven't persued this with Turbo Tech themselves yet. This makes me think this is a really expensive part even as a refurbed item. I also note that there are a number available on Ebay. I'm interested in an opinion on that route also.

However, one member of the list claims this item is easy to strip and fix the seals on, if the bearing is OK. I note also that there is some sort of seal kit available from 'Roughtracks' (see http://www.toyotahilux.com/index.php?doc=16&vid=1153 )What I don't know is if what is pictured there includes the shaft seals required. The two most noteable rings that could be the shaft seals (light blue colour) are somewhat larger than I would have imagined they would be.

Guess I'll be needing a new inlet manifold gasket too.

Any comments??

I'm going to pull the Turbo to inlet manifold pipe for a better look. More on that shortly.

Cheers... Rob.
    Last edited by ro80rob; 11 November 2007, 16:07.
    Red to Red, Black to Black, Blue to bits!

Just an update.

I took off the plastic pipe and the elbow into the turbo. There was a little oil in there, but nothing to write home about. There is certainly no oil in the air filter, which I've read is a good indicator to a breathing engine.
    I also spun the turbo with my fingers. It all seemed to turn beautifully and the turbo bearing felt perfect, so I have no problem there I believe.

Any comments.

Cheers... Rob.

Comment

Sounds like your engine had a bit too much oil in to start with, and has burnt off the excess. Mine will burn off oil until it gets to about 3/4 of the dipstick hatched zone, then stop.

Best to check/replace the fuel filter just in case. Check that glow-plugs are in good nick.

Maybe have a look around the fuel lines for any cracks, but it sounds like your engine's fine.
      Last edited by cataclysm; 15 November 2007, 00:23.

Comment

Originally posted by ro80rob
        Just an update.

I took off the plastic pipe and the elbow into the turbo. There was a little oil in there, but nothing to write home about. There is certainly no oil in the air filter, which I've read is a good indicator to a breathing engine.
        I also spun the turbo with my fingers. It all seemed to turn beautifully and the turbo bearing felt perfect, so I have no problem there I believe.

Any comments.

Cheers... Rob.
        as above maybe a little to much oil.mine had an oil change recently and burnt off down to about 3/4 of the dipstick as well.the tube from the rocker cover to the induction pipe to the turbo does get oily,just clean out when neccesary.
        Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Doesnt really sound like turbo seals at all, cold misfire indicates glowplugs, smoke could be to do with egr, the egr mod could stop this, also its an old girl, they usually use oil or smoke a little.

I would just do those 2 things let the oil down to 3/4 and then see what happens, turbo seals would invariably affect performance dramatically

Carl
          Without Surf And Unhappy

Comment

However, one member of the list claims this item is easy to strip and fix the seals on, if the bearing is OK. I note also that there is some sort of seal kit available from 'Roughtracks' (see http://www.toyotahilux.com/index.php?doc=16&vid=1153 )What I don't know is if what is pictured there includes the shaft seals required. The two most noteable rings that could be the shaft seals (light blue colour) are somewhat larger than I would have imagined they would be.
            That kit is simply all the gaskets needed to remove and replace turbo. Nothing for the turbo internals.

Nev

Comment

Just an update.

Any comments.

Cheers... Rob.
              If the front turbo seal leaks there will be oil in the inlet. If the rear seal leaks it will go directly into exhaust and probably show as blue smoke when burnt.

Nev

Comment

Originally posted by The Lang-Shankit Scunner
                turbo seals would invariably affect performance dramatically
                Nope. Turbo performance is not really affected. Oil loss is a problem though.

Nev

Comment

Ok

Thanks for all the replies.
                  Its a pity about that seal kit for the turbo not having the shaft seals, but having read the replies, maybe I don't have a problem.
                  Firstly, when I took the inlet pipe to the turbo off, I noted that the blades were spotless, with not any oiling noticeable.
                  Secondly, I have fitted the EGR mod already. I did that when I first noticed the extra smoke. Please note that I get no smoke at all when I rev the car up at a standstill. I only seem to have a problem when moving and the turbo spins.
                  Thirdly, I have recently had the car serviced including a full oil and filter (inc fuel filter) changes, so the oil was topped up to the full marker. I do not know what the oil level was at the point of it going in for service, but its an interesting observation about oil usage until the level has fallen somewhat.

I now have a quandry on how to proceed. I have ordered and will definitely change the inlet manifold gasket that is leaking. The oil consumption/smoking still makes me wonder if it is a turbo weep. As to the glow plugs. I realise that they don't switch off immediately the light goes out, but how long do they stay on 'high' heat and how long on the lower setting (I believe this is what happens). I get the misfire problem for some small time until the temperature gauge starts to climb towards normal in earnest.

Cheers... Rob.

Comment

Glow plugs are in top heating while the pig-tail lamp is on. The after glow stage depends on engine temperature, and you can usually hear the glow-plug relay switching when that mode ends (you can also see the Voltmeter jump up a tiny bit).

A 92 motor is now 15/16 years old, and engines designed for turbo-charging can be lumpy at start anyway. I find that after the first 60 seconds of boosted running (with the green turbo light on) the engine behaves much better -- although it's hard to get 60 seconds without having to stop in morning traffic.

Comment

Originally posted by NiftyNev View Post
                      That kit is simply all the gaskets needed to remove and replace turbo. Nothing for the turbo internals.

Nev
                      Hello,

Is the kit that you are talking about , the one now called ;gasket overhaul kit'?http://www.roughtrax4x4.com/?doc=16&cid=624&vid=1301

I am replacing my turbo on wednesday, I bought a used one with guarrantee, will i need this kit to fit it? or I can do without?

Regards,

Vasilis

Comment

Working...
                      X