2.4 overheated help needed fast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2.4 overheated help needed fast

Im currently half way through a 3000km trip and holed up in a hole. Help me get out of here!!!

To give you all the history;

First the alternator stopped carging the battery. I stopped using electrical things like lights and kept the power for starting should i have to stop.

Next suddenly, after maybe 500kms without electrics, it overheated and blew a pipe. I fixed the pipe and carried on only to overheat very quickly again and blow the raidiator this time.

I fixed the raidiator with solder. This time removing the thermostat in case this is faulty. it kept presurising so I removed the cap and kept on like this but to no joy. It kept overheating and has certainly blown the head.

I have found a garage who can find me a gasket. thats no problem.
    the problem is why was it getting hot?

is there a secondary electric fan or is the one i can see in front of the raidiator just for a/c?

To help you understand my problem, just before leaving, only last week, i fitted a new head having had it blow. Its prety damn anoying that its gone again already. but hey

It does sound like the head's gone (cracked) but it may only be the gaskit, as you have just fitted a new head.

The overheating could be caused by a blocked rad, or faulty water pump, I think your mechanic will have to check all these things when he takes the head off.

Are you native to Bulgaria, or not?

For parts, you could try a local Toyota dealer, as they will get whatever you need ( at a cost) or you could try r/trax or stevo for engine parts, mail order.

Also Barry at r/trax will help out if you phone him, as will Stevo.

http://www.toyotahilux.com/index.php?doc=11&cid=127

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/members_p...evo/index.html

Hope this helps, keep us informed.

Rob
    Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

parts isnt realy a problem. im in romania by the way, im not a bulgarian i just live there.

The heads not cracked apparently, but the gasket is gone. The mechanic is going to put on a new one today.

realy what i want to find out is whether the loss of electrics could have anything to do with it over heating.

there is a fan for the a/c. is this only for the a/c or does it kick in when hot too????

i hope it was the thermostat was faulty made it overheat and caused all the other problems, perhaps the gasket went first and was making it overheat not realy surfacing until later?

Anyway anybody know about the other fan and if it does cool the raidiator ever?

thanks

Comment

Temp guage

After you get the vehicle fixed, you might want to modify the stock temperature guage so that it actually functions as a temperature guage. Its an inexpensive modification and well worth it.

http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/forum/v...ic.php?t=14717

Comment

the temp shouldnt be affected by electrics loss, as your vic fan and water pump are clutch and mechanically operated, sounds like a blockage, and the blockage could be what sprung the gasket, flush all waterways and check theyre free flowing aswell
          Without Surf And Unhappy

Comment

ok, dont realt understand this adjusting the stock temperature guage. have had a look at the link but dont realy have a clue.

Will try flushing all the pipes, it was actualy the first thing i thought off, i took the end off all the easily accesable ones and blew into them to see if there was any blockage, couldnt find any, but no doubt there are a few more in there.

Im just bricking it that the head might be cracked again. i bought the last from ebay and i just read on here that the ones on ebay are best to avoid!

The mechanic tells me it isnt because thres no coolant in the oil but i dont think that is realy accurate enough, just by sight i mean. maybe we can see when he gets the head off.

Comment

one more thing, if the head is cracked, it might be just as well to fit a differnt engine, i dont know? does anyone know fo any suitable engine that is realy easy to fit?? preferably not from toyota as there are not very many here. better german or french.

Comment

Originally posted by kieran2698
                ok, dont realt understand this adjusting the stock temperature guage. have had a look at the link but dont realy have a clue.

Will try flushing all the pipes, it was actualy the first thing i thought off, i took the end off all the easily accesable ones and blew into them to see if there was any blockage, couldnt find any, but no doubt there are a few more in there.

Im just bricking it that the head might be cracked again. i bought the last from ebay and i just read on here that the ones on ebay are best to avoid!

The mechanic tells me it isnt because thres no coolant in the oil but i dont think that is realy accurate enough, just by sight i mean. maybe we can see when he gets the head off.
                thats right,it is not accurate enough.

you really need to do a test on the coolant and see if it has exhaust gases in it.

pay good attention to your radiator,make sure it isn't blocked.check water pump as well,and replace the thermostat and radiator cap with brand new.
                Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

one more thing, if the head is cracked, it might be just as well to fit a differnt engine, i dont know? does anyone know fo any suitable engine that is realy easy to fit?? preferably not from toyota as there are not very many here. better german or french.
                  Lexus V8, no it could be the head again as it sometimes cracks in a way that pushes coolant out. Some have reported no other syptoms than loss of water.

Ebay ones arent the best as theyre usually repaired cracked ones, i imagine they wanted your old one did they? Also an aftermarket temp gauge is a good idea cos you see the temp rise before the normal one reacts, normal one has a dead zone and often warns when its too late. On the thermostat housing there is a blanking nut ready for anotrher temp sender
                  Without Surf And Unhappy

Comment

Lexus! Are you joking man? This is Romania, Lexus are like gold.

Does anyone know of any other engine that fits but not from luxury car.

i hope its not the head

by the way the head was new from ebay, i thought the sugestion that the heads from ebay are no good was that they are not original parts but from turkey or somthing?

any other ideas as to why it might of overheated in the first place?

What makes the fan kick in, people here say it changes spead, ive never seen mine increase in speed it just comes on when you start up and stays like that, maybe this is the problem????

Comment

yes the main viscous fan, has a clutch in it, and when not enough air is around or temp goes up, the fluid in the fan pushes the clutch plates together and the fan picks up speed and is also quite noisy. My electric fan has never had to come on.
                      Without Surf And Unhappy

Comment

I think the problem with E-bay heads (new ones) is that they use the earlier (and defective) casting so it will solve the problem but if the vehicle overheats they risk cracking again.

Pay particular attention to the radiator, I had a overheating problem which was caused by a blocked radiator (it was blocked with radweld)!
                        Bring me the head of a treehugger

Comment

Fan clutch

There is a lot of misinformation related to the fan clutch floating around. Here is a thread that discusses the fan clutch and tells you how to adjust the temperature the clutch begins to engage and what fluid to use -

http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/forum/v...=12042&start=0

Comment

well thats it. the heads cracked again. not sure what to do this time, in Romania and the mechanic doesn't think he can find the parts. it cracked at the valves so needs new valves as well. this is becoming an expensive vehicle..........

Comment

well thats it. the heads cracked again. not sure what to do this time, in Romania and the mechanic doesn't think he can find the parts. it cracked at the valves so needs new valves as well. this is becoming an expensive vehicle..........

Make sure you've got really good insurance that provides a courtesy car and push you truck off a cliff.

Comment

Working...
                              X