Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radiator removal

HELP!
    Is there a prescribed easy way of getting a radiator out of a 93 2.4 as i am about to do it due to a blow hole right hand top corner of the matrix (looking from front). It looks a bit tight for my hamhook hands. Also what does the radiator that lives behind the bash plate under neath the front of the engine do?
    Thanks in anticipation!
    How much!

Originally posted by waveydavey
    HELP!
    Is there a prescribed easy way of getting a radiator out of a 93 2.4 as i am about to do it due to a blow hole right hand top corner of the matrix (looking from front). It looks a bit tight for my hamhook hands. Also what does the radiator that lives behind the bash plate under neath the front of the engine do?
    Thanks in anticipation!
    The rad underneath is the air con rad.
    Take off the rad surround 6 bolts, 2 holding it to the bottom half and 4 bolt on to the rad. You may need to remove the fan for extra room 4 bolts. You may get away without removing the fan try it first.
    Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
    My choice
    Back off

Comment

Originally posted by waveydavey
      HELP!
      Thanks in anticipation!
      its not difficult just a bit awkward, slacken the altenator and remove the fan belts, hold the fan and slacken the four nuts, next undo and remove the 4 bolts holding the cowling on the rad, two either side, now remove the nuts holding the fan and pull it forward then pull the fan and cowling out together, disconnect bottom hose to drain the coolant, then disconnect top hose, you may find the bottom hose clip a bit awkward. if its the one you squeeze together as they are sometimes underneath, if it is try and spin it round so you can squeeze the clip together, next disconnect the two thin pipes on the bottom of the rad, one either side, these come from the gearbox, the one on the drivers side wedge it so its pointing up as oil will run out of it,now you can remove the rad, the rad underneath is for the aircon, do not disconnect the pipes from it, you will notice that the cowling comes into 2 pieces dont be tempted to unbolt it to fit the bottom half first because you cannot get the 2 bolts in underneath, the aircon rad is in the way,if ive missed anything please add to it
      Last edited by gemini; 15 September 2003, 00:44.
      [font=Times New Roman][size=3]
      [size=5][/size]
      [/size][/font][font=Times New Roman][size=3][b][i][color=blue]I[/color][color=royalblue]a[/color][color=deepskyblue]n[/color] [color=blue]トヨタの[/color][color=royalblue]波92 のssr[/color][color=deepskyblue][color=royalblue]-g[/color] 擁護者[/color][/i][/b][/size][/font]

Comment

Originally posted by gemini
        its not difficult just a bit awkward, slacken the altenator and remove the fan belts, hold the fan and slacken the four nuts, next undo and remove the 4 bolts holding the cowling on the rad, two either side, now remove the nuts holding the fan and pull it forward then pull the fan and cowling out together, disconnect bottom hose to drain the coolant, then disconnect top hose, you may find the bottom hose clip a bit awkward. if its the one you squeeze together as they are sometimes underneath, if it is try and spin it round so you can squeeze the clip together, next disconnect the two thin pipes on the bottom of the rad, one either side, these come from the gearbox, the one on the drivers side wedge it so its pointing up as oil will run out of it,now you can remove the rad, the rad underneath is for the aircon, do not disconnect the pipes from it, you will notice that the cowling comes into 2 pieces dont be tempted to unbolt it to fit the bottom half first because you cannot get the 2 bolts in underneath, the aircon rad is in the way,if ive missed anything please add to it
        Only one thing, on my '93 the bottom cowling was attached to the bottom of the radiator by 1 10mm bolt connected to a little tab brazed on the rad. It would be easy enough to take the who radiator out with the cowling and the fan however undoing that bolt nigh on killed me as I wasn't removing the rad when I did my head. Needless to say the bottom cowling is now in my garage as it is too small to do anything usefullo anyway, the top one is the one that really matters.

Cheers

Comment

radiator removal

Well! that was easier than i thought it was going to be....With the cowling bolts (10mm) undone and then removed, the viscous fan (12mm bolts) removed, thank god for compression ignition engines, the 4 radiator bolts (12mm) i actually had room for my hands..
          The pipe from the bottom rad hose proved difficult so i removed it too.
          2 hose clips later and the rad was out. It now resides in a workshop in Portsmouth where for the princley sum of £150 it is going to be refurbished and a new core fitted.....

Thanks to all for the info especially whoever it was that mentioned Seark Marston the radiator people..
          Regards Dave
          PS I get it back Friday
          How much!

Comment

Working...
          X