Smokeie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smokeie

I don't know if this is the norm with surfs but when i start mine up (only when its cold) its very smokeie i mean not a bit of smoke but loads, black for the first few revs.

Also when im doing about 40mph it seems like the power isn't Constant you could say it judders

Thanks for any help

smokee

hi pete
    its normal for all diesels to smoke when cold.should clear after a few seconds though,if it stays smokie,check air filter first

Comment

My Surf smokes a lot if I use the throttle when starting, If I dont it doesnt smoke at all but takes 2 goes to start, Oh well, maybe it needs new glow plugs?
      I have just been given a new VW LT35 - 109 van for work which starts immediately with no throttle so I reckon its glow plugs or just general wear to the surf???
      ...Woodie http://woodie.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/D...%20Surfsml.JPG

Comment

Mine doesn't

Nope, mine doesn't smoke much at all. It starts first touch of the key, a little smoke if I look hard, and if I am stuck in town traffic it will give a little puff when I accelerate.

I can recommend chucking a bottle of redex in a quarter full tank, and a new air and fuel filter too.

Next stop is get the turbo checked out, along with the hoses for air leaks.

If all else fails get the injectors cleaned.

And then, check the pump timing on the cam belt, and if that fails then try and find someone who can check the diesel pump out. When you find someone then let us ALL know!!

You could also check the valve clearances.

Right, that's you busy for the next 3 months!!

Cheers

Rob G

Comment

Our 2.4 smokes (sooty-black) when pulling away/accelerating hard, but not when reving it. Only noticed the other day, shows up in car behinds headlights. Now i'm looking can see it though the back window sometimes. Only happens between 2-3000 rpm when pulling away fast, if I nail it above them revs, just changing down, dosn't seem to do it.

I used an old 25lt hydralic oil drum to borrow some diesel the other day, assumed it was just some oil left in the bottem!

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Working...
          X