What oil are we using for engine and auto trans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What oil are we using for engine and auto trans

Just put my reconditioned engine back in the Surf and am wondering what the reccommended oils to use are for the engine and the Auto Trans as I bought it as a non runner. Obviously want to give it good protection as the rebuild cost at least £1000. I'm thinking along the lines as fully sinthetic for the engine but the trans I have no idea whether its ATF, Dexron, Dexron II etc. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Originally posted by gkm24
    Just put my reconditioned engine back in the Surf and am wondering what the reccommended oils to use are for the engine and the Auto Trans as I bought it as a non runner. Obviously want to give it good protection as the rebuild cost at least £1000. I'm thinking along the lines as fully sinthetic for the engine but the trans I have no idea whether its ATF, Dexron, Dexron II etc. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    hi 15w40 semi synthetic and dextron 2 if you can get it if not then dextron 3 for atf

its not worth spending a fortune on the engine oil as you would need to change it about every 3000-3500m and the oil filter every 2nd oil change
    to keep the engine in good condition
    Last edited by stormforce; 1 September 2007, 19:48.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Thanks for a quick reply.

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce
        and the oil filter every 2nd oil change
        I'm shocked Richard. Every second change indeed. No use changing the oil if you're gonna leave the old filter inplace.

Comment

Originally posted by MattF
          I'm shocked Richard. Every second change indeed. No use changing the oil if you're gonna leave the old filter inplace.
          i think a few people change the filter every 2nd oil change tho.

Comment

i think a few people change the filter every 2nd oil change tho.
            That excuse ain't washing.

Comment

Originally posted by MattF
              That excuse ain't washing.
              No Tonyn is the only one who tries washing in it

Comment

No Tonyn is the only one who tries washing in it

Comment

I only change the filter every 2nd oil change (on 5,000km intervals). I might change to 10,000km intervals soon tho (which is the normal service interval, the 5,000km is for the 'severe service' schedule anyway). I'm going to be doing 60 miles a day soon as opposed to frequent short stop/start town trips.
                  edit, I'm talking about a 3.0 tho, dunno about the original service intervals for 2.4s.

Comment

If you're gonna spend up to £30 for a gallon of oil, you might as well spend another £7 on a filter.

False econemy not to.
                    Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

Working...
                    X