new head: what to look for

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new head: what to look for

As it looks like my current surf has done its head (see For Sale Add) , and having had a 4Runner that also did its head any normal person would never consider buying another bl**dy Toyota...but I've found myself scanning the classifieds for a repacement and there are 2 surfs for sale locally both with replacement heads. I was really miffed when I got my last new head to find it looked like it was a cracked one that had been welded and skimmed, so super surfers..what should i be looking for in the paperwork, or what questions should I ask when looking at a surf with a replacement head. If I buy another donkey I may have to buy the mondeo estate my father keeps recommending as a "sensible family" car. For God's sake save me from that. (I should point out that the hypocrite runs a Marcos, a Fireblade and a 530 Beemer...and he wonders where I get it from).
    Cheers all
    (and if I get another surf I can swap my big wheels, lift kit, etc over which would be a boost!)
    dinna say eh?....say fit?

Theres no physical way of knowing while the HEADS in situ. I'd recommend getting replacement HEADS from STEVO, They are brand new modified heads unlike some places selling the original cast heads. I cant mention who due to LEGAL reasons & the FORUM doesnt need any legal issues as we have been threatened in the past. RECON HEADS are a waste of time.
    At the end of the day you sometimes have to take chances, 3.0 SURFS are not as prone to head issues as much as the 2.4.
    A lot of us have been there regarding cracked heads & After the expense of getting a new head its MONEY WELL SPENT as the SURF will serve you for a very long time. A lot of people dont realise that a 10 year old Vehicle in A1 condition is a good investment. THE CAR IN FRONT IS A TOYOTA
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
    (")_(")

Comment

If any of the paperwork says Stevo's Engine Co. - Machester , or 4x4toys - Basingstoke you're laughin. If it says anything else just make sure it says new head not recon anywhere, that's about all you can do without stripping the engine to see for yourself.
      =========
      =SOLD UP!=
      =========

Comment

My advice to you would be do not buy another surf. I would never buy another one. If and thats a big IF the heads OK there is bound to be other faults just waiting to plague you. I have owned Disco's and Mitsubishi's and have not experience the problems my surf has given me. The only thing surf have got going for them is thier looks!.

Comment

Originally posted by splasher
          My advice to you would be do not buy another surf. I would never buy another one. If and thats a big IF the heads OK there is bound to be other faults just waiting to plague you. I have owned Disco's and Mitsubishi's and have not experience the problems my surf has given me. The only thing surf have got going for them is thier looks!.

But you're an ex-mechanic, did you not realised you'd bought a lemon?
          There are plenty of A1 condition Surfs out there, all depends what their previous life was like. As for your Disco's and Mitsubishi's, you were just lucky and bought good examples.

Comment

If and thats a big IF the heads OK there is bound to be other faults just waiting to plague you.
            That's bunkum. There is no way on earth you can say that has any basis in fact.

Why don't you just get the head replaced on the one you already have?

Comment

Replaced the head on me last one, but this one is pretty scruffy (doors and bumpers etc) so I was in the process of "ratting it" I'd just lifted it and fitted 265/75/16s it was about to get a home done matt black and hot rod flames paint job..sniff... and I'm not willing to spend any serious serious money but now I think I'll just break it unless anyone wants to give me an offer on it (still runs and is mot'd till oct)
              wonder what i'll do to the next one....make sure it has a Stevo head
              dinna say eh?....say fit?

Comment

Jeeeyz that's a bit harsh - these old un's need some TLC.

We have a Mitsubishi Evo and that squeaks and rattles and needs new lash adjusters. Thats gonna cost - me mates disco had a new clutch and that was £700. My surf aint gonna be that mutch for new clutch.
                How can I be lost when I've got no where to go

Comment

You could buy a LR Freelander, they're reliable right??

NOT!
                  Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

Working...
                  X