No announcement yet.

Oil / SLudge in my expansion tank.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil / SLudge in my expansion tank.....

Never actually looked at my expansion tank until last night when I was havign a bit of an explore.....

When I took the top off it and pulled the tube out the tube was covered in a dark oil / sludge which I got off with a towel.

This sludge was VERY thick and took a while to wash off....

What could have caused this?
    www.myspace.com/conandoomconan

There was gunk in my expansion tank as well. I reckon the previous owner had put in radweld to try and cure some pin hole leaks on the top of the rad.

Cleaned it out.

Dave

Comment

It could be coolant mixes, the red Jap stuff dosn't mix well with the aftermarket coolants here, and can cause sludge in the rad and expansion tank.

Your rad is probably the same, I'd give it a good clean and flush.

If its oil, then the usual culprit is the oil cooler behind the oil filter, the gasket can fail and mix oil and coolant.
      4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Yeah, I thought so. Thanks man.

The guy I bought it off had the head crack due to this collant mixture issue and then had it replaced by the vendor before he sold it to me.

So, it's possible that the guy who did the head replacement didn't clean out the expansion tank then huh?

If I was to flush it myself what exactly would I have to do? Would I need to take the radiator all the way out? WOuld I need to use any particular coolant? What is the process and how much money will it cost me foe the materials?

And another question..... People talk about red and blue coolants etc... Where are these in the car? My expansion tank is normally totally empty, and I put water into my radiator by removing the rad cap - so where would the 'coolant' go and how?

Comment

Originally posted by Razorhoof
          Yeah, I thought so. Thanks man.

The guy I bought it off had the head crack due to this collant mixture issue and then had it replaced by the vendor before he sold it to me.

So, it's possible that the guy who did the head replacement didn't clean out the expansion tank then huh?

If I was to flush it myself what exactly would I have to do? Would I need to take the radiator all the way out? WOuld I need to use any particular coolant? What is the process and how much money will it cost me foe the materials?

And another question..... People talk about red and blue coolants etc... Where are these in the car? My expansion tank is normally totally empty, and I put water into my radiator by removing the rad cap - so where would the 'coolant' go and how?
          there is a drain tap on the bottom of the radiator open that to drain the coolant.I think alot of people use the toyota red coolant.Once you have drained the coolant flush the system thru a couple of times and then add the red/blue coolant to the filler cap and make sure the expansion bottle is about half full and just burp the system as you normally would making sure heaters are on hot and full and engine running.

Make sure you do the drain tap up before re-filling
          https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Cool, thanks mate.

What do I use to fluch the rad? And how do I put it in? Through the bit where the rad cap covers up?

Comment

Where can I buy the collant and how much is it?

Comment

Originally posted by Razorhoof
                Where can I buy the collant and how much is it?
                Hal£rauds do 5lts blue antifreeze @ £12 per gallon, You'll need 4 - 5 Litres

Honest abdul car factors will probably be cheaper
                Bring me the head of a treehugger

Comment

Yes. Local motor factors.

Comment

Originally posted by The Hornet
                    Yes. Local motor factors.
                    Is that the one next to the CHIPPY
                    (\__/)
                    (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
                    (")_(")

Comment

Does anyone get Marky's joke?

Comment

Mine is next to the builders supplies! But the one next to the chippy will do.

Comment

Working...
                        X