Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overheating and clueless

Hello,
    Just got my Hilux a week or so ago. I was driving along and noticed the temp gauge at almost red. I stopped, pulled over, and saw the overflow boiling over. Let it cool down for about 40mins. Drove it approx. 20kms home. Filled the rad (which was now fairly low) and also the overflow (which was empty). I took the thermostat out and drove it over the next three days short drives and it was fine. I drove it 45mins on the 4th day and noticed it starting to overheat. I pulled over, topped up the rad, overflow was still fairly full. Drove it back, overheated about three times. First two overflow was boiling over. The last time, I put the heater on in the car and it seemed to drive me home fairly smooth. I was hoping just hoping that this would be good. Today I drove it around town, a few 10-15min drives and it was fine. I took it to a friends, did a rad flush and on the way home (10min drive) it heated up twice. (I pulled over to let it cool down both times) Finally, putting it to rest and am clueless to what is the problem. There is no smoke and it rides super smooth. I'm wondering if it could be the water pump? I'm not sure what to do to help figure things out? If anyone has any ideas, they'd be greatly appreciated. As I am a little stuck.

Thanks,
    Mike

make sure you are refilling the rad when its cold otherwise you can boil up the cold water in the rad and create air locks as your filling it up. also make sure that the heaters front and rear are set to hot to help you bleed all the air locks out of the system.

change your radiator cap as well, this is a super critical component and for the price of a tallboy get a new one mate.

you will see if the water pump is working when you top the rad up, you'll see the water pulsing through from the top hose, and if its not screaming then odds are its ok.

with canadian import regs i think u will have a 2.4 so its well worth getting the engine coolant gas tested to make sure you dont have the dreaded cracked head syndrome buddy

good luck with it
    Last edited by andrewlee31; 1 June 2007, 09:47.
    TeaM BOFA4x4 Mac 2008

www.bofa4x4.com

Comment

Hi Kime

Do a search on the site for overheating and you'll be overloaded with info

My 2.4 had a cracked head when I got mine 4 years ago.

As stated, get a gas test doen on the head = expensive if knackered.

Air lock type stuff and thermostst is easy and cheap so do that lot first.
      Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

Hi,Mike

Sounds like a headgasket dood,sheesh, only a week into ownership,too,Did you get surf from a dealer or private,maybe a guarantee,if you are Lucky!
        Oh Well!!!, I brought a lemon a few years ago too...
        2.8L Best toymotor engine ever!!

Comment

Working...
        X