1990 Hilux shutdown after first day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1990 Hilux shutdown after first day

90,000 KM previous owner replaced head, timing belt, alt, bat.
    Brought it home, filled it up "with diesel" and a diesel conditioner. Ran it for about 50KM, nothing difficult. Squeek developed from somewere (alt. maybe). Decided to get home. 2-3km down the road I think there was some ticking then the engine shut down with all warning lights on (even turbo light). Will not start, engine will turn over, however it sounds rough. Any ideas?? At shop now, be two weeks till they can look at it.

Originally posted by dudewurtis
    90,000 KM previous owner replaced head, timing belt, alt, bat.
    Brought it home, filled it up "with diesel" and a diesel conditioner. Ran it for about 50KM, nothing difficult. Squeek developed from somewere (alt. maybe). Decided to get home. 2-3km down the road I think there was some ticking then the engine shut down with all warning lights on (even turbo light). Will not start, engine will turn over, however it sounds rough. Any ideas?? At shop now, be two weeks till they can look at it.

Timing belt jump a tooth or two on the fuel pump sprocket?
    Crankshaft pulley woodruff key sheared?

Comment

Timing belt slip

Would that do any damage to engine if it did slip?

Comment

Would that do any damage to engine if it did slip?

Mine jumped two teeth a couple of weeks ago because the harmonic balancer pulley became de-bonded, rubbed onto the plastic engine cover and debris got picked up by the belt causing it to jump.
        I've since renewed the belt and repaired the pulley and everything is working fine.

Comment

What is the harmonic balancer? What does it do? Is it the top pully??
          What kind of sounds will engine make if that timing belt slips? Sorry for all the questions, new to these vehicles.

Comment

What is the harmonic balancer? What does it do? Is it the top pully??
            What kind of sounds will engine make if that timing belt slips? Sorry for all the questions, new to these vehicles.

The balancer pulley is on the crankshaft at the bottom of the engine that the alternator belts run on.
            It has an inner and outer part that are bonded together with rubber between them.
            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harmonic_balancer

Comment

So definitely somthing to do with timing belt?

Comment

I am in Calgary. Just got informed today that the reason the engine failed was because the crankshaft bearing seized which in turn caused the t-belt to jump which in turn caused damage to the valves. Mechanic told me that whoever installed the new head had miss aligned a hole that feeds oil to the top of the engine therefor no lubrication to the crankshaft. Mechanic quoted me $5000 for parts and labour, thats including a new head (old one had only 5000KM) timing belt change, camshaft or crankshaft? (Dont remember what he said, or if they are the samething) and all other shop parts and tax. Does this sound right? Do I have any other options? Is this quote high?

Comment

$5000CAD = £2378 = VERY VERY EXPENSIVE.

I think you mean the cam shaft had no oil feed - cam seized and valves will hit the pistons as the belt jumps.

This company supply heads and I think they export - http://www.milneroffroad.com/LN130.htm

They have complete built up head for £398 = about $840CAD

With the other bits you need - stretch bolts, gaskets etc you're still looking at a labor quote of something north of $3500CAD - that seems high.

Ask for a detailed quote and post it on here.
                  Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

Working...
                  X