yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

another issue, problem may be. engine noise.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• another issue, problem may be. engine noise.

for the last couple of weeks my engine has been developing a noise. it sounds like a ticking and its only there at about 1200 - 1500 rpm. sometimes it does it on tick over, but rarely. and it only does it when its warm. last night the noise was very audiable. this morning you could hardly tell it was there at all.
    the noise is irregular.

is there something that happens when the engine warms up that would cause this?
    the only way i could describe the sound is if you had a baked bean can, with a little bit of something in that was sticky like honey, and then you put in a small screw. then shook it from side to side gently. like i said the noise is irregular. seems to go away above 1500 rpm. and is not usually there on tickover.
    i want to take the rocker cover off and see if there is anything strange in there. it sounds like its coming from around the top of the engine area.
    i had someone have a look briefly, but the noise was quite quiet at this time, and they said it sounded like belt noise. i agree ive heard belts similar before, but since then i put talcom powder on mine and no change, then i sprayed with wd-40 and no change either..
    wonder if anyone else has had something similar? and know what it is?
    cheers in advance
    Oh Nana, what's my name?

A worn/sticking injector will make a 'ticking' sound.

This could be the cause of your other engine issues.

Comment

other engine issues? ive since sorted the overboost problem
      now you say that, the other day when i held the revs up to about 2000 ish, there was a slight mis-fire type judder. but its not done it since. i did scratch my head over that one.
      may be its a sticky injector then.
      is there anyway i can test for this without buying 4 new injectors, cos i think they are a bomb arnt they?
      if it is this, it could be why im getting 24mpg too?
      Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

thinking back, this only started happening when i did fuel filter change, and oil & filter change.
        would an air leak in cause a noise?
        Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Originally posted by tonyppe
          other engine issues? ive since sorted the overboost problem
          now you say that, the other day when i held the revs up to about 2000 ish, there was a slight mis-fire type judder. but its not done it since. i did scratch my head over that one.
          may be its a sticky injector then.
          is there anyway i can test for this without buying 4 new injectors, cos i think they are a bomb arnt they?
          if it is this, it could be why im getting 24mpg too?
          The only way to test injectors is to remove them & have them spray tested on a rig. I had my injectors re-conned about 6 months ago @ £140.

Have you tried injector cleaner than driving it like you stole it?
          Bring me the head of a treehugger

Comment

yep done that a few times when i was testing the boost. but no change.
            apparently could be valve clearances. but its fine when its cold....
            ill have a look when i get out work.
            bl00dy cars....
            i was hoping some had had the same problem and fixed it, so they could share the knowledge
            it drives fine.
            Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

You sure it's not something simple like your turbo heat shield vibrating/loose?

Comment

Originally posted by MattF
                You sure it's not something simple like your turbo heat shield vibrating/loose?
                i have thought of that. and there is a chance it could possible be something like that, but i have looked around and poked things, and havnt found anything loose yet.
                its strange how it comes and goes.
                my uncle seems to think its a noisy tappet. if it has hydraulic tappets then he said to get a hydraulic tappet cleaner to put in the oil and free the cr@p out thats got stuck in one making it make noise.
                this only happened after i did the service and after i went out for a drive and was climbing over rubble. may be a bit of gunk become loose and then stuck again in another place.
                Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Originally posted by tonyppe
                  i have thought of that. and there is a chance it could possible be something like that, but i have looked around and poked things, and havnt found anything loose yet.
                  its strange how it comes and goes.
                  my uncle seems to think its a noisy tappet. if it has hydraulic tappets then he said to get a hydraulic tappet cleaner to put in the oil and free the cr@p out thats got stuck in one making it make noise.
                  this only happened after i did the service and after i went out for a drive and was climbing over rubble. may be a bit of gunk become loose and then stuck again in another place.
                  Surf's don't have hydraulic tappets, Valve clearances are done with shims.
                  Bring me the head of a treehugger

Comment

Originally posted by coolsv650
                    Surf's don't have hydraulic tappets, Valve clearances are done with shims.
                    looks like i have a tappet out of its clearance range then! dunno how a single one or 2 have done that. but then would it still be the case if the noise was to go completely and then come back again
                    Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

just an update:
                      this noise comes and goes, so last week when it was there i unscrewed the oil cap and expected the noise to get louder if it was tappets/shims making the noise as it would escape the hole in the rocker cover. the noise was exactly the same which suggests its not this.
                      when i get some time ill get the big screw driver like a few have said and try to locate it that way.
                      Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Working...
                      X