Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to Surfs - guidance

Hello

I am picking up my first surf today - its a 1992 2.4 auto td.

Is there anything I need to keep my eyes open for?

Thanks in advance

Conrad

Start it from cold, with the rad cap off, if it smokes like a steam train or water gushes out the rad cap steer well clear. Don't forget to put the rad cap back on.

Otherwise much like any other car. Check the 4wd engages but don't drive with it on unless you're on loose ground. Saggy arse syndrome is common but easily remedied, the back should sit marginally higher than the front, but like i say it's easily fixed for about £70. Cambelt interval is 100,000 km (remember that the speedo will have been converted to mph, the odometer may or may not have been done) so if it's approaching or just gone over this and there's no reciepts budget for this. Rust shouldn't be an issue with an import so if there's a lot of it consider taking a step back. Clunks and creaks when manouvering at full lock are normal and again cheaply and easily fixed.

That's all i can think of for now. Good luck and welcome to the forum btw.
    =========
    =SOLD UP!=
    =========

Comment

just enjoy it mate . keep it wll serviced . don' get paranoid

Comment

Make sure the back window goes up and down properly.

Like Nero said, look for white smoke coming out of the exhaust and do the rad cap thing. Also look for evidence of overheating (white residue on joints in the cooling system, stains on the bonnet soundproofing etc etc).

Look here too:

http://www.showmesome.info/hilux/info/faq.htm

Comment

IMPORTANT If it parked on grass ensure that you get to see it is parked on concrete or other surface to show any leaks (oil or fuel). Mine was parked on Grass and I didn't take heed and when I got it home it had an oil and a fuel leak..... Fuel leak still to be fixed - oil leak not a big issue.

As you xcan tell, I didn't have a phucking cleu when I bought mine
          www.myspace.com/conandoomconan

Comment

Working...
          X