Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Squealing noise!

WRT 2.4TDI:
    I have a squeal that is engine speed related and kicks in at 2400 - 2500 RPM.
    I have changed all the belts, no difference. Tension on all of them is fine.
    Engine power is fine above this but makes a horrible squeal.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Originally posted by Nicc
    WRT 2.4TDI:
    I have a squeal that is engine speed related and kicks in at 2400 - 2500 RPM.
    I have changed all the belts, no difference. Tension on all of them is fine.
    Engine power is fine above this but makes a horrible squeal.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Check the hoses before and after the turbo for signs of perishing/cracking/splits.

Comment

Ah the fabled bushwacker, now i'm in good hands.

So why would it squeal then - oil starvation to turbo?

Thanks for replying. will look at that at earliest opportunity

Comment

Oh god, don't pump him up even more.....

Check your crankshaft pulley isn't moving around too. Not likely I guess, but always worth checking.

Comment

Ah the fabled bushwacker, now i'm in good hands.

So why would it squeal then - oil starvation to turbo?

Thanks for replying. will look at that at earliest opportunity

You know when you blow up a balloon and then you stretch the neck of it and it makes that squealing noise?

Well that's what happens if there's an air leak at the turbo when it's at full boost pressure, i.e. 2500RPM.

Comment

Check the mother-in-law isn't stuck under the bonnet, though thats more on a whining noise than a squeal.
            Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Apache
              Check the mother-in-law isn't stuck under the bonnet, though thats more on a whining noise than a squeal.

You are SO gonna be in trouble if Vicki sees this thread!

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
                You are SO gonna be in trouble if Vicki sees this thread!
                But she wont... will she...???
                Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
                  You know when you blow up a balloon and then you stretch the neck of it and it makes that squealing noise?

Well that's what happens if there's an air leak at the turbo when it's at full boost pressure, i.e. 2500RPM.
                  Also check the point arrowed in the picture, its where the turbo output enters the throttle body, if the gasket goes here it makes quite a whistle

Also check a tree hugger is not jammed in the air intake they make a constant drone which gets quite annoying
                  Last edited by coolsv650; 24 April 2007, 13:59. Reason: remove line cos the post looked cr@p with it!
                  Bring me the head of a treehugger

Comment

What does a broken turbo sound like?
                    This sound is definately like when your alternator belt is loose in a normal single belt car.
                    Can I remove the tube from the turbo to the intake (got EFI written on it) and run the vehicle to see if that changes things. ie squeal goes / gets louder.

I am watching this thread as well! http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ad.php?t=32882

Any replies gratefully received.

PS I have removed, cleaned and tightened the rubber connectors from turbo to inlet.

Comment

What does a broken turbo sound like?
                      This sound is definately like when your alternator belt is loose in a normal single belt car.
                      Can I remove the tube from the turbo to the intake (got EFI written on it) and run the vehicle to see if that changes things. ie squeal goes / gets louder.

I am watching this thread as well! http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ad.php?t=32882

Any replies gratefully received.

PS I have removed, cleaned and tightened the rubber connectors from turbo to inlet.
                      it will probably rattle like a rattly thing and you wont mistake the noise like a pan of nails being shaken about
                      https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Working...
                      X