Surf or Milk Float??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surf or Milk Float??

Hi All, Hope this thread is not going to be to long but this follows my last ones
    "loss of power" and "one for the big boys"

Had Surf 2.4 td now for 4 weeks always had no power, spoke to Tonyn (top guy) and he suggested do the cheap things first and check simple things.

Surf has no power up hills or anywhere so changed all filters (and replaced fuel filter housing as it had a non standard, checked all vacuum hoses gave a good dose of forte treatment, tried the 1/8 turn on the pump screw (both ways) and seemed to be alot better, surf reached 80 mph and had some power, went for a 20 mile drive and got slower (30) then slower (20) then died! took 1 hour to drive 1 mile and had to leave over the weekend at a mates house, on tuesday started fine and drove ok to 4x4 garage, they have tested everything but cant find the problem, though they do know that it does not have any power, 5 days later still no joy! can anyone help or suggest anything else the garage can test!!!!!

Dave
    Up Hills a struggle, life's a bitch

Originally posted by DaveHardy
    Hi All, Hope this thread is not going to be to long but this follows my last ones
    "loss of power" and "one for the big boys"

Had Surf 2.4 td now for 4 weeks always had no power, spoke to Tonyn (top guy) and he suggested do the cheap things first and check simple things.

Surf has no power up hills or anywhere so changed all filters (and replaced fuel filter housing as it had a non standard, checked all vacuum hoses gave a good dose of forte treatment, tried the 1/8 turn on the pump screw (both ways) and seemed to be alot better, surf reached 80 mph and had some power, went for a 20 mile drive and got slower (30) then slower (20) then died! took 1 hour to drive 1 mile and had to leave over the weekend at a mates house, on tuesday started fine and drove ok to 4x4 garage, they have tested everything but cant find the problem, though they do know that it does not have any power, 5 days later still no joy! can anyone help or suggest anything else the garage can test!!!!!

Dave
    Sounds like a fuel delivery problem.
    Does the engine rev OK when in 'P' or 'N'?
    When you remove the fuel filler cap can you hear a loud hisss?

Comment

engine does only rev to 3000 rpm in N never heard a hiss from fuel cap?

Comment

Originally posted by DaveHardy
        engine does only rev to 3000 rpm in N never heard a hiss from fuel cap?

It's hard to diagnose without actually seeing/hearing the engine.

It could be that the throttle isn't fully opening.
        On top of the engine at the back on the passenger side is the throttle housing, you can see the throttle cable connected to it. Get someone to press the accelerator to the floor (engine off) and see if the thottle is fully open, i.e. there's no slack on the end of the cable. If you can move the throttle assembly whilst the pedal is touching the floor, then the cable needs adjusting or re-newing as it's stretched.

Comment

forgive me as im still new to surfs also n not mechanically minded but i noticed something on mine wasnt right when i put my foot down then found out there is nuts on the throttle cable not done up as 1 nut was right down left hand side of thread n the other was right down right hand side of thread so the piece in the middle both the nuts wasnt touching so that gave alot of play on the cable. like i said im not mechanically minded but i done up the nuts n now got a better response when i put my foot down dont know if that helps you as im still learning

Comment

nothing to do with throttle 100% sure all to do with engine, tonyn may be able to help, please

Comment

Did you get the garage to do the diagnostics on it?

Are you 100% sure on the vac pipes?

When you said it seemed fine in 4wd, what did you mean? Is that still the case? What about in 4wd and N, does it rev then?

Did you have all the filters changed already? I know you got told they were done, but did you check the oil and the air filter to see if it had actually been serviced?

Did you actually check the throttle as Vince suggested?

When you say it got slower then died, did it change down before it died or did the revs just drop too low and it stalled?

Just trying to to flush out a few ideas here......

Comment

Working...
              X