Overheating problem you havent heard of yet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overheating problem you havent heard of yet

I have a 91 2.4 auto trans, imported to bc canada, cracked the head, had the shop install redesigned head, high flow water pump kit from allhead.au ( no support from them ) new rad, clutch fan, thermostat, 2 - 10 inch electric fans in front of rad on switch and guess what ? It still overheats on any hill, but as soon as you pull over and rev up engine, temp drops from red to half in 4 seconds, even coasting in nuetral and reving engine 3 times can drop temp, but fans, heat on full blast does nothing. obviously water not circulating enough, i guess $4000 cdn does squat. any clues would be aprectiated.

I think the first thing to do is install a seperate water temp gauge, as the dashboard one is notoriously inaccurate. The other thing to consider would be an auto box oil cooler. If your set up is standard at the moment then the auto box oil runs through the bottom of the rad and will add to your problems just as you have described.
    Roger

My Pointer ate the dog trainer

Comment

cooler

I thought of that as wellas intercooler and hood scoop, but if tranny is problem what would reving the engine do to correct problem ? or is cooler just a way to lower temp, so problem may subside ? thanks for comments ill try tranny cooler

Comment

Would check there are no air locks, all heaters getting hot etc??
        is the water circulating??
        expansion tank have the correct amount of coolant in??
        is the system filled right up??
        would check all the basic stuff first.
        Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
        My choice
        Back off

Comment

Fit vents in the bonnet (hood) near the base of the windscreen. Best mod I ever done.

Comment

Ditto Koi and Bushwacker.

Have you given the cooling system a heavy duty flush - sounds like sludge in the waterways stopping proper circulation. Take the radiator off and get a high pressure hose and give all the waterways a going over. Also, clean the radiator matrix - I did after Salisbury Plain and I could not believe how mucked up it was - zero air flow through it.

New thermostat? Check rear heater is OK.

My 1.5" body lift also resulted in a cooler running car (inside that is!). Having a gap all around the tranny (+bonnet scoop) allows air to flow - the transmission tunnel is now cool to the touch - before it used to get really warm on a long journey.

Last edited by The Lovely Boyo; 20 April 2007, 09:45.
            Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

cooler

I had the shop put the kit in, levels look good, getting good heat,(hotter in back heater) just bought tranny cooler trying to get at lines and figure which is return line etc(anyone know ?). will look into scoop like to match that with intercooler. Had coolant flush with some sludge, new thermostat(thinking of removing) on and on

Comment

one last thing , i know it has been said before, i had very similiar probs on my baby and we did all sorts of shit to find the root problem, after all is said and done i spent 24 bucks like a good member said and got myself some new silicone clutch oil, stripped down the viscose fan and found no or very little oil in it! cleaned it out with wd and topped up, also moved the small screws to end of gauge, ( check earleir posts) and now my fan kicks in as soon as i turn her over, like a small hurricane going on under the hood! definately works!
                Geeman

Comment

This may explain it in detail ...
                  http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ht=viscose+fan

There's always a Payback .... Don't know where n don't know when tho !!!!
                  Buncefield Burner

Comment

It's be hoped the O.P has sorted his problem by now.

Comment

Working...
                    X